Clemson College was already engaged in extension work prior to the passing of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, which formalized the Cooperative Extension Service. By 1905, the college sent out nearly 300,000 brochures annually. Topics covered a wide variety of information including crop and livestock production, fertilizer recommendations, drainage and sanitation, the placement of water sources, and the placement of feedlots.
In addition to bulletins and publications, Clemson used the railroads to directly reach South Carolinians. 12 to 15 faculty members traveled throughout the state, making presentations at preannounced, scheduled stops. The tours were offered three times a year and ran between academic sessions. The 1905 winter tour stopped in 39 sites. The winter 1906 tour had 37 stops and reached 6,300 people. The 1907 winter tour was a huge success and attracted nearly 15,000 visitors.
Today, Clemson Extension agents continue to provide a wide variety of research-based information to the people of South Carolina. Agents are located in all 46 counties and at the University's five Research and Education Centers.