The South Carolina 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge
The 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge is modeled after such competitions as the Food Network’s “Iron Chef,” challenges teams of 4-H members to create a dish they are assigned. Team members must prepare the dish, make a presentation about it to the judges, interpret a label, plan a menu utilizing the dish and prepare a fitness plan. The presentation will include information about the serving size, nutritional value, how to utilize the dish in a meal and the cost of the dish. The 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge allows 4-H members to demonstrate their culinary and food safety skills to judges and observers.
The Healthy Lifestyles Challenge was developed through a partnership of 4-H, Zest Quest and Partners for Academic Community Engagement.
- Provide opportunities for participants to exhibit their knowledge and skills when preparing and presenting a dish
- Provide opportunity for participants to explain their understanding of labeling
- Provide opportunity for participants to demonstrate their knowledge of ones need for physical activity
- Provide opportunities for participants to learn from other team members
- Promote teamwork
- Give participants opportunities for public speaking
- Provide leadership opportunities
- Give 4-H members the opportunity to participate in a new, exciting, competitive event
Link to the instructions (pdf) The South Carolina 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge