Food Safety & Nutrition
Clemson Extension agents with primary food safety & nutrition responsibilities work closely with state extension specialists and researchers located on campus and at the various research and education centers located across the state. They provide expertise in topics ranging from safe food-handling training for individuals, restaurants and commercial food processors to prevent outbreaks of food-borne illnesses to nutrition, obesity prevention, chronic disease risk reduction, and special dietary considerations for individuals and families throughout the lifespan.
In addition, 20 EFNEP Nutrition Educator Assistants (NEAs) deliver education programs that help children, youth and young families with limited resources develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behavior needed to improve their diet, physical activity levels, and become better managers of their food dollars. Food Safety, nutrition, diet and health information can be found at Clemson University’s Home and Garden Information Center and the Nutrition Information and Resource Center.
Angela P. Forbes M.S., R.D., 803-385-6181 ext 115, email@example.com
- September 4th – Chester County Diabetes Coalition meeting; 12 noon at the Extension office
- September (date to be determined) – Chester; food safety for churches
- September 8th – FCL Foothills District meeting in Union
- September 9th – York County Alliance for Healthy Kids and Communities – Rock Hill. Speakers include Pansey Yates,
- R.N., of Piedmont Medical Center on Families Eating Smart Moving More and Dr. Janet Wojick with Winthrop University on Zest Quest.
- September 12th – Nutrition at the York Senior Center
- September 18th – Healthy Eating / Recipe Demonstration – Ft. Lawn Community Center
- September 26th – Jameson Health Fair and food demo. - Clover
- September 30th – A Night With Dori Sanders – York Extension office
- We would like to invite folks interested in diabetes to join the Chester Diabetes Coalition – meeting is on Sept. 4th at 12 at the Extension office.
- We need members and volunteers who want to address childhood obesity to join the York County Alliance for Healthy Kids and Communities. We meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 12:15 at the United Way in Rock Hill.
Chester County Families and Community Leaders (FCL) would like to invite you to become a part of a dynamic group of community and education-minded people. There are 7 clubs that meet monthly:
- The Bits of Thread meets at 10:30 the first Thursday – this is a knitting club
- The Edgemoor meets the 1st Tuesday at 10 a.m. – this is a “general club” that has educational and interesting programs
- The Jolly Quilters meets the 2nd Saturday at 10:00 a.m. – a quilting club
- The Ladies Friendship meets the 2nd Monday at 3:00 p.m. – a general club
- Lewisville Club meets the 2nd Tuesday at 10:00 – a general club
- North Chester Neighbors meets the 2nd Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. – a general club
- This ‘N That meets the 1st Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. – a craft club
Pressure gauge testing; canner evaluation
The Peanut Products Recall (73 KB, PDF)
Visit the state-wide Food Safety & Nutrition website.