Trees SC, a statewide organization that fosters the stewardship of our state’s urban and community forests, is seeking a design for a South Carolina specialty license plate. The Trees SC License Plate Design Contest is open to all residents of South Carolina and all submissions must be of original design. The winning design will be submitted to the SC Department of Motor Vehicles with the intent to produce and distribute the plates. All proceeds of the license plate sales will support community forestry programs throughout South Carolina. For more information on Trees SC, please visit www.treessc.org.
AWARD: Trees SC seeks an original design that represents the mission of the organization while promoting the health and vitality of trees. The winner will receive $500 and statewide exposure and media recognition.
1. The Trees SC License Plate Design Contest is open to all residents of South Carolina. Entries from anyone under the age of 18 require written permission from a parent or guardian. (Trees SC Board members and their immediate family are not eligible to enter).
2. There is no entry fee.
3. The design must promote trees. To avoid similarities with the standard state issued license plate, please avoid use of palmettos.
4. All entries must include an entry form with signed Consent, Waiver of Liability, Indemnity and Release.
5. Entrants may submit multiple original designs; each design must be accompanied by a completed entry form.
6. All designs must be original artwork; they may be hand created or computer generated but may not contain “clip art.”
7. Any artistic medium that lends itself to the license plate design, including, but not limited to hand-drawn, painted or digital art is permitted. The preferred format for submission is digital form, either on a CD or via e-mail. If sent via e-mail, the file should not exceed 6MB. Entries will not be returned.
8. Trees SC reserves the right to refuse any design.
9. Image area for each entry must measure 3.0” W x 3.6” H and be consistent with the design template included with this packet. For specific SC DMV requirements, visit
10. The license plate design must conform to the following constraints:
a) SOUTH CAROLINA must be located below the plate numbers
b) No text may be included that is not part of Trees SC’s logo or tag line
c) Background color must contrast sufficiently with the plate number
d) Limit the amount of detail and remember that the design must be clearly viewed from a distance.
11. The winning design may need to be modified by the applicant to meet the requirements of SC DMV or Trees SC. Designs should be creative but appropriate for use on a license plate. Trees SC reserves the right to use the winning design at its discretion. The winning design becomes the property of Trees SC.
12. Entries that were not selected as the winning design may not be used for other purposes until six months after the close of the contest.
April 5, 2012: Submission deadline
April 13, 2012: Contest judging
April 20, 2012: Announcement of winning design
Submit original design and entry form no later than April 5, 2012 to:
Attn: License Plate Design Contest
P.O. Box 1679
Ladson, SC 29456
For more information, please visit our website at www.treessc.org or contact our office at (843) 814-4620.