Skip to content


Questions & Answers about Crossings

As questions arise, please contact Associate Dean Bridget Trogden (via and/or General Education Commitee members and we will work together to find answers.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which catalog do students follow?

    New students

    • New first-year students starting Clemson in fall 2022 follow the AY22-23 academic catalog. New first-year students starting in fall 2023 follow the AY23-24 academic catalog. Students can typically also elect to move forward to other catalog years if the curriculum and/or policies are more advantageous to their goals. 
    • New first-year students starting Clemson in summer 2023 are considered as fall 2023 enrollees, even though they begin their Clemson coursework in the summer term. They follow the AY23-24 academic catalog.
    • New transfer students starting Clemson in fall 2022 or after fall under one of two categories:
      • For students who have been in continuous enrollment at the sending institution, the policy in the Clemson catalog is in effect as follows. (This includes students in the Bridge to Clemson Program who start the program in 2021 or prior.)
        • Students transferring may select the curriculum that was outlined in the Clemson University Undergraduate Catalog at the time they entered the sending institution, provided they have been in continuous enrollment. Further, transfer students may select any curriculum adopted subsequent to that initial curriculum. After enrolling at Clemson, if a transfer student changes from one major to another, the student will complete all of the requirements included in the new curriculum that are in effect at the time of the change. If all coursework toward a degree is not completed within six years after the initial enrollment at the sending institution, the student may be required to complete additional courses. (From, section on Admission.)
      • For students who have not been in continuous enrollment at a sending institution, they follow the current year's academic catalog.

    Former students returning

    • The catalog year depends on the number of credits the student has earned.
      • If a student withdraws from the University and subsequently returns or does not remain continuously enrolled (summers excluded), the student's curriculum year is changed to the one in effect at the time of return for students with fewer than 90 credits. The curriculum year remains the same as when they were last enrolled for seniors (90 credits and more). The student´s major department can approve an exception. A Request to Change Academic Program should be submitted in the Student Records tab in iROAR requesting the approval. (From, section on Academic Regulations.)
  • The new curriculum goes into effect for new students in 2022. What about transfer students entering in 2022?

    See the Q&A above for new transfer students. 

  • Under what conditions should students request a course substitution?
    Every Clemson student has an assigned catalog year, and their degree requirements should be followed according to that catalog year. If a course in a student’s catalog year is in the Crossings/General Education course list, it should be allowed to fulfill the requirement.
    Substitutions may be Necessary in the Following Situations
    • If a student’s catalog year has a course listed in a General Education category, but the Banner course attribute is not showing on the course, the course may have changed categories in a later catalog. Work with the student to complete a course substitution request via iRoar.
    • If a student takes a course that is later approved for a General Education attribute (Global Challenges or other area) but is not in their catalog year, retroactive approval is not automatic. Work with the student to complete a course substitution request via iRoar. Like any request for a course that has not already been reviewed by those academically qualified to do so, the syllabus should be uploaded as a note in CU Navigate so that the syllabus can be reviewed for fulfilling our General Education requirements.
    • Information about submitting a course substitution can be found on the Registrar’s website:
  • Will we have to change all of our degree maps?

    The General Education Committee helps to set the courses and learning outcome areas, but does not set the sequencing of courses. Departments and degree programs should look at their degree maps to see if and where adjustments need to be made. (Click here for the guide shared at the April 2021 Undergraduate Curriculum Committee meeting.) Unless there are specific reasons for limiting students to specific courses or course order, flexibility is encouraged. See also Transition page.