In meeting graduation requirements, it is sometimes necessary to substitute one course for another. See more information on Course Substitutions in the “Academic Regulations” section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
To avoid prerequisite issues or a delay in graduation, this request should be submitted as early as possible. Note that some colleges do not consider requests in the last semester, so it is best to submit prior to application for graduation. Only courses that you have already completed or are currently pre-registered for can be used in a Substitution request.
This is a request for a change to the curriculum requirements for an individual student and approval is not guaranteed, nor does approval for this individual student imply that the same request will be approved for others. You will be notified via email once your request is approved or denied.
Before submission of this electronic substitution request, the details of the request should first be discussed with your primary advisor. Complete the request and the mandatory detailed justification section with applicable information. A clear and detailed justification will expedite the review process. You may be asked to provide additional documentation upon review by approvers. If additional documentation is needed to further justify your request, you will be notified via email.
Cross Cultural Awareness Restrictions
- For review of a transfer course:
- Check the Undergraduate Academic Catalog for the CCA student learning outcome.
- Students should work with the academic advisor to create a new note in CU Navigate and upload the syllabus from the transfer course. If the transfer course syllabus is not available, students should write a narrative describing how the course met the CCA student learning outcome and upload a sample of their work from the transfer course. All documentation should be in CU Navigate. (Substitution requests without documentation will not be approved.)
- Submit the substitution request. Add a note that the documentation is in CU Navigate.
- Please note: Courses taken at Clemson that are not on the current CCA list may not be substituted for CCA credit. The faculty council who reviews the requests will not override the established curricular process.
An Approval of Credits to Be Earned at Another School (PDF) must be submitted prior to enrolling at another institution. Courses taken at two-year institutions cannot be used to substitute for 3000 or higher level courses. Course substitutions are not permitted in situations where Academic Forgiveness has been previously applied. See Transferring Credits.
Submit Your Request
- Login to iROAR > Students > Student Records > Request Substitution for an Academic Requirement
- Refer to How To Complete a Substitution Request (PDF)