Procurement Policies and Procedures
For a meal to be considered a business meal it should meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least two persons present
- At least one of those present should not be a University employee
- University business must be discussed
- There must be an expectation of a business benefit (i.e. lunch with a professional candidate or with a potential donor)
- There should be no "substantial distractions" (i.e. sporting events, theaters or nightclubs)
- Business documentation should include the amount of the meal. date and place of the meal, reason for the meal, nature of business discussed and names and business relationship to Clemson University of the outside parties at the meal
To adequately document required information the Business Meal Documentation Form may be used.
Business Meals may be reimbursed in the following manner:
- Within 10 miles of office or residence
- Non-employee meals allowed on unrestricted funds up to the per diem allowance.
- Non-employee meals in excess of per diem allowed with self-generated funds if program related or paid directly with Foundation funds.
- Employee meals may be paid with self-generated funds if program related or paid directly with Foundation funds.
- Greater than 10 miles beyond office or residence may be reimbursed with unrestricted funds up to the State per diem allowance. Any excess over the per diem allowance should be paid from self-generated funds if program related or directly paid with Foundation funds.
updated March 2012