Tiger Alliance Student Ambassadors
Tiger Alliance is looking for motivated, male college students to serve as mentors to the young men in the program. These ambassadors will travel to our various partner schools to work with the students in small-group settings. Tiger Alliance Ambassadors should be in good academic standing with the University and must consent to a background check prior to working with the students. Each ambassador will be assigned to a group of schools in one of our four partner counties (Anderson, Greenville, Pickens, and Spartanburg) and will work with our students on various activities, depending on their grade.
Fall and Spring Semesters
- 9th Grade: introduction to colleges/universities; potential career/major exploration; mapping out a four year plan for high school
- 10th Grade: building personal college profile; leadership development; continuation of career/major exploration; ACT/SAT Prep
- 11th Grade: ACT/SAT Prep; narrowing down college choices; overview of admissions processes; scholarship exploration; resume building; continuation of career/major exploration
- 12th Grade: completing college applications; working on personal statements; filling out FAFSA; applying for scholarships; high school to college transition; continuation of career/major exploration
During the summer, the new rising sophomores, as well as the current rising juniors and seniors will have the chance to expand upon their afterschool activities by spending three days (two nights) on campus at Clemson. In addition to attending a series of college-prep workshops, the residential experience includes academic evaluations, physical challenge activities to enhance self-confidence, collaborative learning exercises and detailed orientation about the college experience.
All applicants must be:
- Classified as an undergraduate or graduate student at Clemson University
- In good academic standing
- Available to work starting 1/11/2019. Employment spans semester to semester, as long as ambassador continues to meet required qualifications. Applicants do not have to commit to the summer component, but preference will be given to those who can.
- Available twice a month on afternoons/evenings for school visits
- Available as schedule allows for Tiger Alliance related events throughout the school year
- Passionate about working with high school students who need motivation and positive role models
- Willing to stay in the residence halls every night (for summer employment only)
- An interest in working with low-income, first generation high school students
- Experience working with youth in an after-school or summer camp setting
- Experience leading a group or class
- Knowledge of team builders and other group activities
- Willingness to stay employed as an ambassador for multiple semesters
- Ability to provide your own transportation
Tiger Alliance is an educational, fun, work-intensive experience that will prove to be very rewarding. As an ambassador, you will greatly affect the lives of the participating students and will be held to standards that reflect this responsibility. It is our hope that through the Student Ambassador position, students will consciously gain leadership and mentoring skills that will help them develop as leaders and expand their views of what it means to give back and help others find their way to college.
Among other duties as assigned, Student Ambassadors will be expected to:
- Attend and participate in all Student Ambassador training sessions
- Serve as a mentor to students
- Serve as a leader and active participant in Tiger Alliance activities
- Travel to partner schools and mentor students in a small-group setting
- Escort and participate in daily sessions students will attend (Men of Color Summit and Summer Academy)
- Assist in the planning of after-school and summer activities
- Supervise students when they are in the residence halls during the day and at night (summer only)
We do allow each staff member to take summer courses (This is not paid for by Tiger Alliance). However, this must be disclosed during your interview and will be taken into consideration when hiring decisions are made. (This is only for applications interested in summer employment).
- Significant leadership experience
- Opportunity to develop professional and personal relationships with Clemson faculty, staff, and students
- Room, board and meals for those able to continue during the summer (summer only; valued at approximately $600.00)
- $10.00/hr for school visits (during the fall and spring semesters); mileage for school visits (during the fall and spring semesters for schools over 10 miles away); summer pay TBD.
Timeline and Deadline
Ambassador Applications are due November 23, 2018.
- Potential start date for ambassadors will be 1/11/2019.
- Tiger Alliance Summer Academy commitment for Ambassadors spans from June 1 – June 29, 2019.
- All interested, qualified applicants should fill out the online application, submit an updated resume, and one letter of recommendation by the set deadline. Resumes and letters of recommendation can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may personally deliver them to the Office of College Preparation and Outreach located in the 300 Suite of Brackett Hall at Clemson University.
- All applicants who pass an initial application review may be contacted for an interview. Second interviews will only be conducted if follow-up information is needed. Any questions should be sent to Matthew Kirk at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in the position!