Reporting an Incident

The University wishes to create a safe environment in which individuals are unafraid to discuss concerns. The University will maintain the confidentiality of victims including publicly available record keeping to the extent provided by law.

At Clemson University, responsible employees under Title IX are defined as: Clemson University faculty and staff, including selected student employees, who work directly with students, Student Affairs staff, athletic coaches, advisors to recognized student organizations, community directors, resident assistants, managers, supervisors, and administrators.


Counseling and Psychological Services
Free psychological counseling is available at Redfern Health Center (864-656-2451) to students who have experienced harassment.

Pickens County Advocacy Center
All survivors of sexual violence may seek crisis counseling services through the Pickens County Advocacy Center at (864) 442-5500.

Foothills Alliance
All survivors of sexual violence may seek crisis counseling services through Foothills Alliance at 1-800-585-8952.

Formal Complaint (Not Confidential)

Police Department
Reports of sexual assault should be made as soon as possible to the Clemson University Police Department (CUPD) or other appropriate law enforcement agency if the incident occurred off campus. To make a criminal report to CUPD call 911 or 864-656-2222. For off campus reporting, concerned persons should call 911.

Office of Access and Equity
Complaints regarding discrimination based on sex or gender or sexual harassment, including sexual violence. This office investigates complaints when the alleged perpetrator is an employee or a student. The office will also investigate complaints when the alleged perpetrator is a visitor and the incident occurs on University property. Title IX Coordinator: 864-656-3181. Alesia Smith, executive director of Equity Compliance,, 223 Holtzendorff.

When Reporting...

  • It is recommended to not shower, eat, drink, smoke, comb your hair, urinate, defecate, douche, or change your clothes before going to the emergency room. However if you have already done so, do not deter from seeking medical care.
  • If your clothes have been changed, save clothing you were wearing, do not wash them; place the items in a separate paper bag (do not use plastic bags)
  • If you suspect you may have been given a date rape/predatory drug, a hospital or clinic may want a urine sample immediately as these drugs are more likely to be detected in the urine than in blood.
  • Take notes! Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances. This may help if you choose to file a complaint or charges.
  • If you have showered or changed clothes, still seek medical attention!
  • Victims can have an exam and report anonymously to any local hospital if they want.
  • The cost of these exams are covered by South Carolina Victim Assistance.