I want to make and sell BBQ sauce. What do I need to do to get it ready for sale?
To make and sell BBQ sauce you will need to follow the South Carolina Department of Agriculture regulations, which includes:
- Prepare BBQ sauce in an approved facility (a home kitchen is not approved)
- Have the pH tested to ensure safety of the sauce and to receive a process control letter, which is required by the FDA
- Apply for a Registration Verification Certificate, which initiates an inspection by SCDA to verify the safety of your facility and food production process and that it meets all state and federal regulations
- Have your product label reviewed by SCDA
- Comply with regular unannounced inspections of your facility and process by SCDA
To get more information about product testing please see the Product Testing Form and Product Testing Fact Sheet. For more information contact Adair Hoover at firstname.lastname@example.org (Food2Market Coordinator) or Angie Culler-Matthews the Food Safety and Compliance Manager for the South Carolina Department of Agriculture at email@example.com.