The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Laboratory Standard, OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1450, Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories, was created to minimize employee exposure to hazardous chemicals in the laboratory.
Requirements of the Lab Standard include establishing a Chemical Hygiene Program and providing a written Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) available. The University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan was written to describe proper practices, procedures, equipment, and facilities designed to protect employees from exposure to hazardous chemical and avoid accidents and injuries related to the laboratory environment. The CHP is intended to serve as a basic guide for chemical safety. Faculty must develop laboratory-specific safety protocols to address specific hazards (i.e., chemical, biological, radioactive, equipment, etc.) for their individual labs. These protocols must include work practices, procedures, and precautions for specific chemicals, equipment, etc.
The University Chemical Hygiene Program applies to all Clemson Faculty, staff, and students, and visitors in laboratories where hazardous chemicals/agents are used. Employees are responsible for ensuring that their laboratory operations are planned and conducted in accordance with the Chemical Hygiene Plan and also for following procedures and prescribed safety practices outlined by their direct supervisor.
The use of personal vehicles and public transportation for transport of hazardous materials is prohibited at all Clemson University facilities. This includes but is not limited to dry ice, liquid nitrogen, laboratory chemicals, gas cylinders, biological agents, radioactive materials and materials of trade. For guidance and assistance on transporting hazardous materials contact Occupational and Environmental Safety at 656-0341.
- Accident Report Form (PDF)
- Peroxide Forming Chemicals (PDF)
- Chemical Storage Chart (PDF)
- Lab Closeout Policy (PDF)
- Prudent Practices in the Labratory (PDF)
- Chemical Hygiene Plan (PDF)
- Clemson University Lab Safety Manual (PDF)
- Pre-operational Safety, Health and Environment Review (POSHER form) (PDF)
- Chemical SOP's and SASP Templates
- Cryogenic Safety Presentation (PPTX)
- Safe Handling of Pyrophoric Materials (Video)
- Nanomaterials Safety Manual (PDF)
- UV Hazard fact sheet (PDF)
- UV Transilluminator fact sheet (PDF)