Skip to content
Image of a geiger counter scanning
Occupational and Environmental Safety

Radioactive Materials

In South Carolina, RAM use is regulated by the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). SC DHEC issues RAM Licenses. Clemson University has a Type A Broad Scope RAM License. This License allows any (but not human!) use of RAM with atomic numbers 1-98 in research and teaching, provided such use was reviewed and approved by the CU Radiation Safety Committee (RSC). Radiation Safety personnel assures that RAM is used prudently and in compliance with all federal, state and local regulations, as well as Clemson University’s policies.

  • What do I need to use Radioactive Material (RAM) at Clemson?

    In order to work with RAM, a person must have appropriate Training and be listed on one of the approved RAM Projects. A person may start working with RAM before completing Initial Radiation Safety Training, but they must be listed on an approved RAM project and must work under the direct supervision of a fully trained person until Initial training is completed.

  • What is a RAM Project?

    A RAM Project includes: a Responsible Investigator (RI); approved isotopes and their possession limits; labs where work under this Project may be performed; protocols of RAM use; any special requirements; list of individuals approved by the Project’s RI to work under this Project. All RAM Projects must be reviewed and approved by the Clemson University Radiation Safety Committee.

  • Am I required to wear a dosimeter while working with RAM?

    The use of personal dosimeters (“badges”) is required for any person likely to exceed 10% of the Annual Occupational Dose Limit (10% of 5 rem or 500 mrem). Due to the specifics of the RAM use at Clemson (low activities, low abundance of penetrating radiation), the use of personal dosimeters while working with RAM is usually not required.

  • How do I order RAM? What if I need to ship RAM?

    RAM Project personnel may only order RAM listed on their Project and within approved possession limits, taking into account RAM currently on-hand. RAM may be ordered from any licensed RAM provider. RAM orders do not have to be pre-approved. All incoming RAM shipments must be sent to one of the addresses listed on the CU RAM License: 501 Lake Drive, Clemson, SC 29634 (Main Campus) or 342 Computer Court, Anderson, SC 29625 (Innovation Campus and Technology Park).

    All outgoing RAM shipments must be prepared by a person properly trained according to the US Department of Transportation requirements. Please contact CU Radiation Safety for help with RAM shipments.

  • What training do I need to work with RAM?

    All personnel working with RAM must complete classroom Initial Radiation Safety Training, except for personnel working exclusively with sealed radioactive sources, who may take online Sealed Radioactive Source Training. Every year thereafter, all personnel actively working with RAM must complete online Annual Radiation Safety Refresher training.

  • How do I handle and dispose of the radioactive waste?

    Any waste containing or suspected of containing RAM must be accumulated separately from any other waste. Waste logs should contain reasonably accurate information on isotopes and activities as well as other hazardous materials present. All radioactive and mixed (both radioactive and hazardous) waste will be collected and prepared for disposal by the CU Radiation Safety personnel. Submit a Waste Pickup Request Form to start the process. For more information, please visit Hazardous Waste Management page.

Research Safety Blog and Events

Clemson Research News