Frequently Asked Questions

Advising procedures and policies vary college-by-college and department-by-department. This page is an attempt to provide general information for faculty and professional advisors in order to improve the registration process. For more specific information, check the departmental web pages or the Registrar's Website.

  • 1. When should I meet with my advisees?

    Advisors are expected to meet with their advisees prior to the opening of registration.

  • 2. How will I know how many advisees I have and who they are?

    Go to iROAR > Faculty Services > Student Information Menu > Advisee Listing.

  • 3. How can I get information about a student's academic progress?

    Individual student degree audits are available online in iROAR.  Advisors should log into iROAR (, and click on the following:  “Faculty Services” > “Student Information Menu” > “DegreeWorks”.  Please see this link for help in accessing the degree audits.

  • 4. Why does a student need to be cleared by their designated advisor to register?

    Clearing a student to register ensures you have given your students the opportunity to be advised. Self-advised students make mistakes. Many errors that can impede graduation are detected or prevented during registration advising. Certain classes that a student may want to take may not be available. Major and minor requirements need to be approved. Changes in the curriculum occur. This is an opportunity to help your advisee really consider his or her career path or academic progress. Advisors should not clear their advisees to register without meeting with him/her each semester.

  • 5. Can I leave the degree audits from DegreeWorks outside my office and just let the students pick them up?

    This is illegal, therefore face-to-face meetings with students are necessary. (See Question #4) Advising is teaching. Having an opportunity for your students to ask questions creates students who can interpret the degree audit for themselves, read and understand the catalog, and make better academic advising decisions for themselves as they move forward in their academic career.

  • 6. What is the credit limit at registration?

    a. First semester and transfer students are limited to 17 hours.
    b. Probation students (CGPA less than 2.0) are limited to 16 hours. c. The limit is raised to 21 for all students (except those on probation) the day before classes begin.

  • 7. What if a student wants to register for more than the limit?

    The advisor must email to have the limit raised the day before the last day to add. The limit is not raised above 21 until the last minute.

  • 8. How do I raise a student's credit limit?

    Students on academic probation are limited to registration in 16 credits. To have that limit raised to 19, the student’s academic advisor should e-mail

    All other undergraduate students are limited to registration in 19 credit hours. The day before classes begin, credit hours are automatically increased to 21. Students who wish to register for more than 21 credits must have approval of the advisor. Advisors should e-mail to have the 21 credit limit increased beginning the Monday after classes begin. Please include the student’s CID number in the correspondence.

  • 9. What if a student wishes to take a course somewhere other than Clemson?

    A student may attend any regionally accredited community college, technical school, or university and earn credit for coursework completed as long as:

    a. The course in question is evaluated by the faculty of the department in which it is taught and determined to be equivalent to a Clemson course.
    b. The grade earned in the course is a C or higher.
    c. The student completes a Request for Approval of Work Taken Elsewhere Form prior to enrolling in the course.
    d. The student must have a transcript sent back to Clemson.

  • 10. How do I know if a course taken at another institution is equivalent to a Clemson course?

    Advisors and students may determine course equivalency by checking the on-line Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL)

  • 11. What if a course or school isn't in the TCEL?

    Students may take a course description either from the school’s catalog or on-line information to the department in which the course is taught. For example, Clemson’s math faculty evaluates a math course. There are designated course evaluators for every department here.

  • 12. What if a student wishes to change his or her major?

    Enrolled students who wish to change academic programs must process a Request to Change Academic Program form which should be turned into Enrolled Student Services, 104 Sikes Hall. The form must be approved and signed by both the current and new academic departments. Students wishing to change academic programs should talk with an advisor in both departments. Students should gain the acceptance of the new academic program prior to disengaging from the current one. Many academic departments have established one or more conditions, such as a minimum GPA, an application process, etc. that must be satisfied before approving a student’s request to change academic program.  Students are usually assigned the curriculum year in effect at the time of the academic program change.

  • 13. What if a student wants to declare a minor?

    The Undergraduate Announcements lists all available minors. A “what if” degree audit in iROAR may be run to evaluate courses needed and how courses taken previously may work toward a minor. To run a “what if” degree audit:

    1. Log into iROAR (
    2. Click on “Student Information Services” > “Degree Works”
    3. Choose the student using their CU ID number or do a search
    4. Once the student is identified, click on the “What If” link on the far left column. Input data for curriculum year, major, concentration (if applicable), and minor. The curriculum year for major and minor has to match.

    Prerequisites: Students may not be aware that some courses listed for their minor can have prerequisites that are not shown in the minor list itself. Once an advisee selects a minor, encourage the student to cross-reference course options or requirements in the minor with the prerequisites listed in the courses of instruction found in the Undergraduate Announcements.

    Declaring the minor: Once a student has identified the minor they wish to pursue, students should complete a change of academic program form to include the minor. The student’s assigned advisor, or designee, needs to sign the form. Instructions are on the back of the form. Here is the link to minor code abbreviations for change of academic program form.

  • 14. Can registration affect financial aid?

    Yes it can, however there are too many types of financial aid to become expert on all of them. The best strategy is to refer a student directly to the financial aid office in G-01 Sikes Hall. The staff can check on each individual's aid package and advise them accordingly. Students and advisors can access financial aid information on-line from the university homepage.

  • 15. What do I tell a student who says there are no seats in a class he/she wants?

    The student may add him/herself to the waitlist for the course if there is a waitlist and space is available. If a seat becomes available in the course, the student will receive an e-mail indicating that s/he has 24 hours to add the class. Some departments choose not to use waitlists. In this case, the student may contact the registration coordinator for advice.

  • 16. What other things should I discuss with my advisees?

    Registration is a good time to question students about academic progress, career options, and activities outside the classroom. Many times problems are revealed and can be resolved before they become impossible to fix. Students can be informed about co-op or internships, directed to the Michelin Career Center if unsure of a major, or reminded of critical policies such as filling out the form for graduation.