Skip to content

Academic Advising

Change of Academic Program

Guidelines by College

Take a few moments to review the list of Departments by College.

The College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences, College of Architecture, Art and Construction, College of Arts and Humanities and College of Education will approve the change of academic program requests from eligible students into their majors any time during the Fall or Spring term. See the links below for more information:

The following Colleges pause processing all change of academic program requests during the current term beginning on the last day to add for the semester. Students may submit the change of academic program requests for programs in these Colleges again on the first day to register each semester. Forms submitted between these dates will be declined or held. See the links and key dates below for more information:


*Note that many programs within this College have restrictive/competitive application processes with specific dates of application, which may not fall into these guidelines.

Tips for Students

Follow the Process Carefully

  • Please be sure to read the Changing Academic Program or Curriculum Year instructions before you submit your form.

  • The change of academic program (change of major) process is initiated when you submit the form. The assigned advisor will review the form for approval. If there is an error on the form, it may be rejected by the advisor and must be resubmitted. You will receive an email with a note as to the reason why the form has been rejected. If approved, the form will be shared for administrative approval in Enrolled Student Services.

  • Forms are processed in the order in which they are received. Processing time typically takes 3 to 5 business days, depending on the volume of requests received.

  • You can submit the form to change the curriculum year and add or delete minors or concentration areas throughout the academic year.

  • Dates are determined by the academic calendar and are subject to change as conditions warrant.
Students sit around a large table while a female instructor lectures at a whiteboard

Important Reminders about the Hold/Freeze Period

  • The hold/freeze period rules apply to the College in which you wish to change your major, not the College in which you are currently enrolled.
  • You will still be required to follow the hold/freeze period dates if you are changing your major within the same College, which will result in a change of assigned adviser.
  • All forms must be submitted by the student for approval by your new adviser by 8 a.m. on the last day to add. Forms submitted after this time cannot be guaranteed approval before the hold/freeze period begins.
  • You must meet the criteria to change majors before you submit your form.
  • Students who are graduating will be permitted to make changes in consultation with the major adviser from the College in which they are changing if there is a freeze/hold period in place.