Download Adobe Reader

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm Applying

What is the application deadline?

The Graduate School does not set any deadlines, however, individual departments may. Please contact the program you're applying to for deadline inquiries.

How can I apply to more than one program?

Clemson allows you to apply to more than one program. However, you must use two separate applications. All applications at Clemson are customized to meet the needs of each specific program and are not interchangeable between programs.  After you have submitted and paid for your first application, you are to go back in with the same UserID and password and change your major. You will have to submit the second application and pay another application fee. 

How does the department receive my application package? 

Clemson University Graduate School is using an imaging system called Admit. Your application and support materials are viewable by the department as they are uploaded to the application or are received by the Admissions office. The department has the ability to view your materials as they come in and can act on your application accordingly. 

Where do I send my portfolio if my department requires it? 

If your department requires a portfolio, please send it directly to the department to which you have applied. If you are unsure of their address, please go to the contact list to locate their address accordingly.

What is the institution code for Test Scores?

Clemson University’s institution code for the GRE and TOEFL is 5111. We do not require a department code. Clemson University’s institution code for the MAT is 1707. GMAT, IELTS, and PTE Academic do not require an institution code.

 What is the proper way to send my scores to Clemson University? 

Official score reports of standardized exams must be requested from the administering agency and submitted directly to the Graduate School at Clemson University. The appropriate institutional code for the GRE and TOEFL is 5111. We do not require a department code. Clemson University’s institution code for the MAT is 1707. GMAT, IELTS, and PTE Academic do not require an institution code.

What does “ Official Transcript” mean? 

The title of the degree earned and the date awarded must be noted to be considered a final official transcript. Official certificates or diplomas in sealed envelopes from the issuing institution should accompany any transcripts that do not note the degree earned and date awarded directly on the transcripts. Final official transcripts must be received by Clemson University in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.  

I've Applied

What does "Date completed" mean?

The "date completed" is the date your application package became complete. That means all of your support materials have been updated and are viewable by the department.

How long should it take for a decision on my application to be made?

It varies by department and whether they have a committee review. Please contact your department to see where they are on their decision-making process.

I have had ETS send my official score report to Clemson University and have received my score report in the mail.
Why does the application status check still show test scores “awaiting”?

Clemson University receives scores from ETS electronically. If the Status Check indicates “awaiting”, your scores haven't been uploaded into our system as of this date. Please continue to check your application status.

Can you more clearly define “awaiting”?

Support materials (references, transcripts, test scores) that have not been received yet.

How long will it take for me to get my acceptance or denial notification?

An official Decision Letter will be posted to the Application Portal 48 hours after a decision has been made on your application by the Graduate School.  You will receive an email letting you know a decision has been made.  You will be directed to log into the Application Portal (Click "Online Graduate Application"):  A PDF of the letter will be posted toward the top of the portal.  

I put in the wrong email address for a recommender and need to change it, how do I do that?

Go to the Application Portal

Go to “Manage Your Account” and click on the “Online Graduate Application” link. Use the same UserID (email address) and Password you created when you submitted your application. This will take you to any applications that you have completed through College Net. Click on Clemson University (Graduate).

You will see the section for Online Letters of Recommendation. You can see who you requested and if they have started their recommendation yet. There is a drop box that says “take action”. The two selections are “send reminder” and “edit this recommender”. The second option allows name and/or email address to be edited.

When this is done, the original link is deactivated, and a new email is automatically generated and sent using the new information.

If you are still have problems, please contact College Net

My recommender did not receive the email for the online recommendation form, how can I re-send it?

This change can be made by following the same process used to answer the question above, “I put in the wrong address for a recommender and need to change it, how do I do that”?

I've been accepted

I viewed my acceptance letter, now what?

In the Application Portal, where you viewed your decision letter, you will find a “Decision Form” button. Click on it to open and indicate whether you accept or decline Clemson University’s offer of admission. 

After confirming your intent to enroll, you will receive an email with your Clemson Student ID (XID) and an activation code. This email will provide necessary instructions on how to log into Clemson University’s iROAR system, access your username and create your password.
This email will be sent out shortly before registration opens for your first term.
Please visit the newly accepted students’ page for tutorials and a step-by-step checklist of things to do before beginning your journey at Clemson University. Additionally, the Registration Portal< is a good place to start.

What does “Accepted Conditionally” mean?

An admission status of Accepted Conditionally means that the admissions office does not have your final-official transcript. Most likely you were admitted based on unofficial transcripts or you have not yet graduated or provided a transcript with your final date of degree on it. Conditional Acceptance does not hinder you from registering or enrolling in classes. It is required for you to provide your final-official transcript or certificate to the Office of Graduate Admissions during your first semester enrolled at Clemson University.

I have received correspondence from my department regarding my application decision, but I have not heard anything else, what do I do now?

You are NOT officially accepted into Clemson University until you receive an official letter of acceptance signed by the Dean of Graduate School.  When your department goes through the proper channels of acceptance and the Graduate Admissions office updates the admission status, an official letter will be posted to the Application Portal (Online Graduate Application).

I have been accepted to Clemson University's Graduate School and need to defer my enrollment. Who do I contact?

Enrollment may be deferred for up to 1 year beyond the initial semester desired for any student who has received an offer of admission from the Graduate School, pending approval from the program of study. A signed “Change of Term” form must be submitted by the program to the Office of Graduate Admissions in order to change the term of entry. The application and supporting materials are valid for 1 year. Should a student wish to defer his/her admission beyond 1 year of the initial semester desired, a new application, supporting documentation and the prevailing application fee must be submitted. International students should notify the Office of International Affairs when approval is received from the admitting program to defer admission.

Where can I find information on Off-Campus Student Services?

You may find more information on Off-Campus Student Services on the Student Affairs page for off-campus services.

International Applicants

What is my NR number?

Your NR number is the number that is generated for international students as a temporary ID used during the application process. Once your application is submitted and paid for your NR is created. You will receive an email which includes your NR number.


Can I apply for a PhD program if I don't have a master's degree?

A number of Clemson University’s doctoral programs are direct-entry, so you don’t have to hold a master’s degree to enter the PhD program. For more info, visit this link and click on a program:

Can I check on the application status for my friend?

For the applicant's protection, information will only be given directly to the applicant.

Is there someone at Clemson that I may contact by email if I have a question about the status of my application that is not answered by the online status check?

 Please send all inquiries to or contact the department directly.

If my name has changed or is incorrect in iROAR, how do I update my name?

If you have ever been a student at Clemson University or applied to Clemson University under a different name than you have today, then your previous name will remain. Please furnish a name change form to have your file updated.

I have been rejected and want to know why. Who do I contact? Can I appeal the decision?

You need to contact the program to which you have applied for in order to learn why you have been denied admission.

If you wish to appeal the decision, guidelines to the appeal process are available in the Graduate School Policy Handbook.
What is the address for the Graduate Admissions Office?

Office of Graduate Admissions
E-209 Martin Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634

I have completed my application and paid via Electronic Check, why haven't I received any Admission information yet?

Electronic checks take two weeks to clear and until they do, your application is not available to the Graduate School or your department for review.

Which programs are completely online?

For a list of online Graduate Programs, please visit: