Skip to content

Clemson University Graduate School

Admissions Frequently Asked Questions


  • How Do I Send My Test Scores to Clemson University?

    Clemson University Institution Codes

    • GRE and TOEFL - 5111, No department code needed.
    • MAT - 1707.
    • GMAT, IELTS, PTE Academic - No institution code needed.

    Make sure the names you used for your application match exactly the names on test scores. If they don’t, contact us at so we can reconcile them.

    Please allow 1–2 weeks for official scores to be sent and for your application status to indicate that scores have been received.

    No set minimum GRE/GMAT test scores are required. Each program uses test scores as one component of your whole application in a holistic review process

  • What’s the Difference Between “Official” and “Unofficial” Transcripts?

    “Official” (or final official) transcripts are transcripts that are sent directly to Clemson University’s Graduate Admissions (Office of Graduate Admissions, E-209 Martin Hall, Clemson University, Clemson SC 29634) from the issuing institution. “Unofficial” transcripts are transcripts that have been opened by the student or printed from an institution’s student portal, or that do not yet reflect a graduation status.

    Graduate Admissions accepts unofficial transcripts during the admissions process; you can upload those directly to the application. Official transcripts are required of applicants who are admitted and intend to enroll.

  • Am I Required to Use a Transcripts Evaluation Service?

    Clemson University’s Graduate School generally does not require transcript evaluations for international transcripts. However, we reserve the right to request an evaluation if we are not able to determine the degree equivalency or if we have questions about the institution. Individual programs may require transcript evaluations. Please review the requirements for the program you are applying to.

  • If My Name Has Changed, or Is Incorrect in iROAR, How Do I Update My Name?

    If you’ve previously been a student at Clemson University or applied to Clemson under a name different from the one you now use, then your previous name remains in the database. Please furnish a name change form to have your file updated. The University provides guidelines in the preferred names policy.

  • Can I Apply for a Ph.D. Program if I Don't Have a Master’s Degree?

    A number of Clemson University’s doctoral programs are direct-entry, so you don’t have to hold a master’s degree to enter the Ph.D. program. For more information, visit the Graduate School’s Direct Entry Ph.D. Programs page.

After Submitting an Application

After You’ve Been Accepted

  • I’ve Viewed My Acceptance Letter. Now What?

    In the Application Portal where you view your decision letter, you will find an “Applicant Response” button. Click on it to open and indicate whether you want to accept or decline Clemson University’s offer of admission.

    Three-to-five days you confirm your intent to enroll, you will receive an email with your Clemson Student ID (XID#) and an activation code.


    his email will provide important instructions on how to log into Clemson University’s iROAR information-management system, access your username (created by the University) and create your secure password.

    Visit the Newly Accepted Students page for a checklist of things to do before beginning your journey at Clemson University.

    Additionally, the Registration Portal is a good place to gather information.

  • What Does “Accepted Provisionally” Mean?

    An admission status of “Accepted Provisionally” means that the admissions office does not have your final official transcript. Most likely, you were admitted based on your unofficial transcript(s), or you haven’t yet graduated or provided a transcript with your final date of degree on it. Provisional acceptance doesn’t prevent you from registering or enrolling in classes, but you must provide your final official transcript(s) or certificate(s) (starting with bachelor’s and including any subsequent degrees) to the Office of Graduate Admissions during your first semester enrolled at Clemson University.

    A registration hold will be placed on all students who have not submitted final official transcripts during their first term. Read more on the Transcript FAQs page.

  • I’ve Received Correspondence from My Department Regarding My Application Decision, but I Haven’t Heard Anything Else. What Do I Do Now?

    You are not officially accepted into Clemson University until you receive an official letter of acceptance signed by the dean of the Graduate School. When your department goes through the proper channels of acceptance and the Graduate Admissions office determines your admission status, an official letter will be posted to the Application Portal that you applied through.

  • Can I Check on the Application Status for My Friend?

    No. For each applicant’s protection and to meet confidentiality legal requirements, Graduate Admissions can only give information directly to the applicant.

  • I Have Been Accepted to Clemson University’s Graduate School but I Need to Defer My Enrollment (Change to a Later Semester). Who Do I Contact?

    If you’ve received an offer of admission from the Graduate School, you may defer enrollment for up to one year beyond the initial semester you indicated, pending approval from the program of study. A “Change of Term” form must be submitted by your program to the Office of Graduate Admissions in order to change the term you intend to enter. Please contact your program if you wish to defer your start term.

    Your application and supporting materials are valid for one year. Should you wish to defer your admission beyond one year of the initial semester you indicated, you must submit a new application, supporting documentation, and the prevailing application fee. If you’re an international student, you should notify International Services when your program has granted your admission deferral.

  • Where Can I Find Information on Off-Campus Services for Graduate Students?

    You may find more information on off-campus student services on the Division of Student Affairs Off-campus Student Services page and Clemson Online.