Supplier Registration Process
11/30/17 (updated 12/10/18)
The new Supplier Registration initiative has been in place for 12 months and we have wrapped up the implementation phase on December 10, 2018.
The current status: 8,200 suppliers were invited to register. Of that, 5,400 suppliers completed their registration. The remaining suppliers who did not complete the registration process were inactivated in buyWays and Peoplesoft and will no longer be able to receive Purchase Orders or receive payments.
What’s happening now: On December 10, 2018 all active suppliers who had NOT completed their registration have been inactivated in buyWays and Peoplesoft and will no longer be able to receive Purchase Orders or receive payments.
What to do if you see a supplier on the Inactive Invited Supplier List that you currently purchase from? If there is a supplier on the Inactive Invited Supplier spreadsheet in buyWays, they have not started or completed their registration and are now inactive in buyWays.
- If the supplier has been invited and you are currently doing business with them:
- Do NOT submit another “Request New Supplier” form. Instead:
- Reach out to the supplier and ask them to complete their registration.
- If they need assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 864-656-6179.
- If the supplier has not been invited to register and you are currently doing business with them:
- Fill out the “Request New Supplier” form in buyWays.
- For additional instructions, look at our How to Invite a Supplier reference guide.
Reminder of the Supplier Registration process:
- Campus Users are responsible for completing a “Request New Supplier” form in buyWays.
- A buyer in Procurement and Business Services approves or rejects the new supplier request based on a valid business need.
- The supplier is invited to register in buyWays. (Invitation will be an email from email@example.com).
- The Supplier must select an electronic payment method, and then register for either Paymode (business only) or TigerPay (individual only) during the registration process.
- The Supplier’s registration is complete. The Supplier is now available for shopping, receiving purchase orders and payments.
All suppliers that do business with Clemson University MUST be registered in our supplier registration system. If a supplier needs assistance, please direct them to the supplier page on our website, www.clemson.edu/procurement/supplier or the Supplier Registration team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to view the training document on how to request a new supplier.
Below is a schedule of what is to come. Updates will be posted to this site as we make this transition. New training items and more specific details will be added as new features and processes go live. Check back for updates.
|Update||What is it||Who's Affected||Estimated Start Date|
|Current Registration Site Down||On this date, no registration site will be available||Suppliers||Completed|
|Clean-up of Current Suppliers||Review of all suppliers in buyWays, inactivate suppliers not used||Suppliers||Completed|
|New Supplier Registration Process Live||New process for suppliers to be registered||Campus and Suppliers||Completed|
|Payment Policy Updates||New payment options will be available||Suppliers||Completed|
|Training||Updated online training for Campus and Suppliers||Campus and Suppliers||December 2017 and ongoing|
|Change Orders||Change orders to current PO's||Campus and Suppliers||Spring 2019|
|After the Fact Orders||Policy for orders placed without a purchase order||Campus and Suppliers||Spring 2019|
|Incomplete Supplier Registrations||On this date, suppliers who have not completed their supplier registration will be inactivated||Campus and Suppliers||Completed December 10, 2018|
Why were these changes made?
Recently, there have been multiple successful phishing attacks and security breaches at other Higher Ed schools. These attacks are focusing more on supply chain and procurement where significant money transacts. Our goal is to improve the process while protecting the University at the same time.
All suppliers will have their information vetted prior to becoming active in our system. Simply put, we are going to ensure that they are who they say they are and take the extra step to ensure we provide quality, reputable companies for you to do business with.
Clemson University is managing the conversion and administration of supplier’s receiving electronic payments as the default method of payment and moving away from making payments via paper check. There will be two payment options available for domestic suppliers, Paymode and TigerPay while the only available option for international suppliers will be via wire. Checks will only be issued on a limited and rare occasion.
What changes were made?
Procurement and Business Services has updated the process in which a supplier will register to do business with Clemson to include a vetting process to ensure that they are a reputable business.
Who was affected?
All suppliers were affected. The top 2500 suppliers had to update their profile in buyWays. Suppliers that have been inactivated will require a valid business need to be invited to register. (see details below)
Going forward, campus will need to request a supplier to be invited to register in buyWays. This is to ensure we don’t have suppliers in the system that aren't being utilized. The new supplier request will be in buyWays with a few simple questions. Procurement and Business Services will then make the determination and invite the supplier to register.
Related Orgs will not be affected with this new supplier registration process.
What if I have an open PO with a supplier that has not registered, will they be inactivated?
Yes, they were inactivated on December 10, 2018 but we will allow payments to be made against that existing PO. No new POs or payments not against that existing PO will be able to be placed with them until they register.
I can't find my supplier in buyWays and they are not on the Invited Inactive Supplier list, what do I do?
If you find there is a need for a supplier, and the supplier is not in buyWays, follow the steps:
Complete the Supplier Request in buyWays. Information that will be required to complete the request:
- Supplier name
- Contact name/Email address
- Type of supplier
- Product or service being provided
- Ordering frequency
- Reason for supplier request
Once the Supplier Request has been completed and submitted, the Supplier Request will route to the appropriate Buyer for approval. Within 3 business days, you will receive and email indicating that the request has been approved, rejected or returned by the Buyer.
- APPROVED - If approved by the Buyer, you will receive an email and the supplier will receive an invitation to register into buyWays. (Time to complete this is dependent on the supplier).
- REJECTED - If rejected by the Buyer, you will receive an email that the supplier was rejected. It is possible that there was an exisiting supplier record found in buyWays with the same name as your request. In this case, the exisiting supplier record will be invited to register to avoid duplicating suppliers in buyWays. Refer to this History link on the request form for additional notes and details.
- RETURNED - The Buyer may return the request to you for more information.
Once the supplier successfully completes the registration, a 3rd party will vet the information for completeness and accuracy. This may take up to 14 days.
- You will receive an email informing you that the supplier profile has been accepted and added into buyWays, or rejected.
- If accepted, the supplier will become available to receive purchase orders and payments in buyWays.
What are the Buyers looking for when they decide to approve/reject a supplier request?
- Is the supplier already in buyWays as an inactive supplier? If so, the supplier request is rejected and the exisiting supplier in buyWays is invited to register after the list below is checked.
- Verify the supplier name, contact name, email address for accuracy.
- Is this is a Clemson Employee or Student?
- Type of supplier and what goods/services do they provide.
- The reason we need to add this supplier.
How can I get my supplier on the internally managed list?
The only suppliers on this list are Government Agencies, municipalities, school districts, colleges/universities and Utilities; The decision to add them to this internally managed list is made by the Supplier Relationship Manager based on risk, complexity and existing information we may have on them.
What does internally managed mean?
It means the Supplier Relationship Manager (not the entity/supplier) in Procurement controls the record most of the time.
How do I request an update to an internally managed supplier (new address, contact, etc...)?
- Check the profile to ensure that this new address or contact is not already listed.
- Any requests to modify, change, add an address, etc... to a supplier that is listed as Internally Managed, should be done by submitting a supplier request form and using the comments section to clearly indicate what you are requesting.
- You must submit one form for each change needed (ie. if you have 4 address updates, you will need to submit 4 forms).
- Provide contact name, phone number, email address and remittance address on the form.
How will suppliers register in the new process?
Suppliers will be invited by Procurement and Business Services to register once it is determined that there is a need for that supplier. The emailed invitation will come from email@example.com, not Clemson. Clemson Procurement and Business Services has partnered with SciQuest (now known as Jaggaer) to provide our suppliers with a secure Supplier Portal where suppliers can log in and create and manage a profile. Due to this new vetting process, it will take longer for the supplier to become active in buyWays.
What do the suppliers need to know?
Suppliers that are new to Clemson, will be required to register before receiving any orders. Only suppliers who are invited to register will be able to complete the registration process. An email invitation will be sent to the supplier to complete once a need has been identified.
The registration will capture key information about the supplier. Procurement and Business Services will review registered supplier profiles when considering suppliers for ordering.
Suppliers who do not receive an invitation from Clemson, will still be able to register with the University in our bidding system as a bidder where they can potentially earn future Clemson business.
What if the supplier contact changes?
The supplier needs to log into their Jaggaer account and change/update any contact information. Jaggaer technical support can also be reached at 1-800-233-1121.
Where do I go to see the status of the supplier request form?
From the supplier icon, click on My Supplier Requests. You can also go to the history link on the request form to review additional notes. You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Supplier Relationship Manager at 864-656-6179.
The history says my request was rejected but an old profile was invited – what does this mean?
There was currently an inactive profile for the supplier you requested, instead of creating another profile we are simply sending the invite using the existing profile.
If the invite has been sent but the supplier does not receive it what do they do?
If they have checked junk/spam folders you can request the invitation be resent. Please make sure the email address submitted is correct as this is where the invite will be sent.
What does vetting mean?
Vetting is a thorough and diligent review of a prospective person or business.
On December 10th, which suppliers were inactivated?
Any active supplier that had not started or completed a registration with Clemson University since December 2017 were inactivated.
What does the last invitation date mean on the Invited Inactive Supplier List?
This is the last time Clemson sent the supplier an invitation to register; some suppliers have been sent invitations multiple times requesting that they register.
What if there is no date in the last invitation column?
The supplier was never invited.
What do I do if their invitation was send to the wrong email address?
Send an email to email@example.com with the Supplier Name, Supplier Number and the Correct email address.
What do I do if the supplier was never invited?
Fill out a supplier request form in buyWays.
Why were suppliers inactivated on December 10th, 2018?
All of our active suppliers have had a year to register in our new system, which we believe is ample time to complete the registration process. We have had over 8000 suppliers complete the process so it isn't an overly difficult process. Continuing to do business with suppliers that have not registered leaves open risk and defeats the whole purpose we are trying to get suppliers registered and vetted.
What if I have open purchase orders or invoices for a supplier that is inactivated?
You must get your supplier to register so that you can execute your purchase order and/or pay your invoice.
What happens if my supplier refuses to register?
If we have an existing PO that was issued to them, we will activate the supplier to pay them and then they will be inactivated until they have registered. If there is no existing PO, the supplier will not be able to be paid until they register and a PO has been issued.
What does inactivation mean?
The supplier is no longer be visible to campus and cannot receive purchase orders or payments from Clemson.
Where can suppliers go for help?
Suppliers can visit our website for step by step instructions with screen shots or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get an email or call back.
What if I can't find my supplier in buyWays?
Ensure you are trying alternate spellings for instance "color block", "colorblock", "color block inc", CB or USDA vs U.S. Department of Agriculture. Determine if your supplier has been consolidated; for example, the following suppliers have been consolidate under the U.S. Department of State: Passport Office, Directorate of Defense, Trade Controls. Consolidated into the U.S. Department of Agriculture supplier profile are U.S. Forest Service, USDA, ARS and Agricultural Marketing Services.
Why are suppliers being consolidated?
Clemson will only use one TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number)/EIN (Employer Identification Number) per supplier. All suppliers that share the same EIN/TIN must be consolidated into one Supplier profile to enable proper supplier and risk management as well as IRS reporting.
If my supplier has a contract, were they left active on December 10th?
No. They were inactivated. Procurement Officers have been working with key contract suppliers to complete registration and are prepared to address the failure to register through contractual channels if necessary.
Can my supplier come in and register in person?
Yes. Have the supplier email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Supplier Registration Screenshots and Examples:
- Supplier Registration Process
- Supplier Registration recorded demo
- PayMode (Supplier) example
- TigerPay (Individual/Sole Proprietor) example