Surplus Property Guidelines


  1. Fill in the required information on the CUBO 206 (up to 12 items per 206) — DO NOT attach spreadsheets or any other type of listing.
  2. Obtain all required signatures and make 2 copies of the completed form
  3. Contact Surplus Property by phone or by email for delivery instructions at 864-656-2092 or Surplus Property personnel are sometimes unable to pick up property from departments due to time or space constraints. In this case, go to buyWays and search "Moving Contract" to find details on the contract supplier.

DEPARTMENTS DISPOSING OF SURPLUS PROPERTY: Any department desiring to declare University property in its custody as SURPLUS must submit a Declaration of Surplus Property Form (CUBO 206) to Procurement Services. After receiving the Declaration of Surplus Property form, Procurement Services will return a copy of the original with a receipted stamp and the signature of a Procurement official to the originating department. The department should retain this form as authorization to dispose of the items and to delete the items from the movable equipment inventory.

TRANSFER TO OTHER UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENTS: Procurement Services will, when feasible, determine if the property can be used elsewhere in the University. If so, the property will be transferred to another department.

WHAT TO DECLARE SURPLUS: Pursuant to Procurement Regulation 19 445.2150, surplus property is defined as State owned supplies and equipment, not in actual public use, with remaining useful life and available for disposal. This definition excludes the disposal of solid and hazardous wastes as defined by any federal, state or local statutes and regulations. Property so defined as solid or hazardous waste shall not be relocated, nor title assumed under the authority of these regulations. If a department determines that supplies and/or equipment fit this definition of surplus, then those items should be turned in to Surplus Property to dispose of as outlined in this process.

DISPOSITION OF COMPUTERS OR OTHER MEDIA WITH RESTRICTED DATA: Any computer or hard drive, regardless of remaining useful life, must be declared as surplus and disposed of accordingly. These devices must be totally erased or rendered unreadable before it is disposed of through departmental transfer or Surplus Property. Employees should contact their TSP's or CCIT personnel for assistance if necessary. This responsibility to safeguard sensitive data lies with the end user as outlined in CCIT Data Security policies. Once received in Surplus Property, Surplus Property will coordinate with CCIT to have hard drives removed and destroyed prior to disposition of these items.

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS:  Chemical recycling and the disposal of unusable chemicals, radioactive or hazardous materials, old paint, powdered metals, thermometers or other items containing mercury, and contaminated equipment, material, and supplies such as vacuum pumps containing oil, engines and motors containing gasoline and oil, fume hoods with asbestos, lead lined water fountains and sinks cannot be managed as regular surplus property. Redistribution and disposal of these items will be coordinated by the Hazardous Waste Office (or the Radiation Safety Office in the event of radioactive materials/equipment) within Research Safety and all arrangements pertaining to these surplus property items will be managed in accordance with state policies and in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations. It is the responsibility of departments disposing of surplus to properly identify any hazardous materials and notify the appropriate office of the presence of such materials.

DISPOSITION OF OTHER MEDIA WITH POTENTIALLY SENSITIVE DATA: With the exception of computers, any tape, disk (hard drive, CD or floppy), flash drive, cell phone or other storage medium used to store University data is the responsibility of the department to dispose of. Clemson Recycling will make a shredder available (on a monthly schedule that will be published) for departments to turn in these media for destruction.

OTHER DISPOSITION METHODS: If the property cannot be used elsewhere in the University, it, upon recommendation of Surplus Property, Procurement Services, will be declared surplus and disposed of by Surplus Property or the State Surplus Management Office of the Division of General Services in the method most advantageous for the University in conformity with state policies.

The methods available for disposition of University surplus property are:

1. Auction, publicly advertised and held.
2. Sale under sealed bids, publicly advertised and held.
3. Trade-in under terms and conditions whereby the University replaces the surplus property.
4. Transfers to other State of South Carolina agencies or sale to eligible political subdivisions of the state or other government entities, such as non-profit volunteer fire, police, and rescue organizations operating for a public purpose and eligible, non-profit corporations whose activities are related to health and/or education.
5. Sold to a scrap contractor.
6. Taken to land fill.

NOTICE REQUIREMENT FOR PUBLIC SALE: When Surplus Property, Procurement Services determines to dispose of surplus property by sealed bids, such proposed sales may be publicly advertised and publicly held. Surplus Property, Procurement Services may advertise the proposed sale in a newspaper of general circulation and will state the date, time, place, manner, and conditions of the sale.

INVITATION TO BID RESTRICTIONS: No person, firm, or corporation may be sent invitations to bid on proposed sales unless it has been determined from all circumstances there is no market for the property without requesting such bids. Prospective buyers for various types of surplus property may be sent copies of the public notice as published or notified that public notice has been published in a certain newspaper on a stated date.

SALE OF MOTOR VEHICLES: All sales of surplus University motor vehicles will be conducted by the Materials Management Office of the State of South Carolina and all arrangements pertaining to these sales will be coordinated through that department in accordance with state policies.

TERMS OF SALE: Purchase of surplus property by the general public shall be by cash or check.

SALE TO STATE AGENCIES: All sales of surplus University property to political subdivisions of the state and other governmental entities must follow the provisions of applicable state laws and University policies and procedures.

If you have further questions, please contact:

Surplus Property (

Administrative Services Building
ASB 108 Perimeter Road
Clemson, SC 29634
Phone: 864-656-2390
FAX: 864-656-2394