Skip to content

Clemson University Graduate School

Applying As A Non-Degree Seeking Student

Admission to the “non-degree” category is limited primarily to those who may benefit professionally from additional study at the graduate level. Students working towards a teaching certificate or recertification or an add-on certificate to augment professional credentials would be non-degree students. As a non-degree student, you must receive permission from the program coordinator or the department chair of your program before you enroll in any graduate course.

Supporting Material

In general, the only supporting material you’ll need for non-degree admission is a transcript showing an appropriate background and confirming the awarding of a bachelor’s degree or higher. Please confirm you have the appropriate materials with the department you’re applying to. In most cases, international students are not eligible for non-degree status.

If you’re interested in taking undergraduate courses as a non-degree seeking student, please use the non-degree checklist below to make sure you submit the appropriate application.

Returning Non-Degree Students

If you’ve been enrolled previously at Clemson any time in the past six years as a non-degree student and you wish to return and continue in this status, then you DO NOT need to complete the online application. Instead, please complete the Graduate Request for Re-Entrance form.

Non-Degree Checklist

If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s degree or higher, but you’re interested in taking undergraduate courses, please use the checklist below to determine your best next step:

Do you want the option to take graduate and undergraduate courses?