U.S. Veterans

Clemson University is committed to providing our best services to our nation's veterans. Clemson is approved for VA benefits for veterans and their dependents. Eligibility and benefits are determined by the VA. Our Certifying Official serves as a contact between the veteran, Clemson and the VA.

Students must complete the Benefits Request Form to receive benefits each term.  This form is required for paperwork to be sent to the VA for processing and payment.


Education Assistance Programs

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
    The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Recipients are paid a monthly stipend while enrolled in education classes. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
    Chapter 31, the VR&E program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap and Service members who are in the process of transitioning from military to civilian employment prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
    The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. Or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This program will pay eligible individuals:
    • Tuition and fees paid directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and mandatory fees for Clemson University
    • Monthly housing allowance for new students is based on the Basic Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school; $1,451
    • Annual books & supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid at $41.67 per credit hour
    • One-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals
    • The Yellow Ribbon Program is available each year to 50 out of state undergraduate students that are entitled to receive 100% of Chapter 33 benefits, as determined by the VA. As required by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the program is offered to students on a 'first come, first serve' basis. During the registration period for the summer and fall semester, the Application for Yellow Ribbon Participation is available online. Students can apply for Yellow Ribbon benefits during their orientation session. To apply for these benefits at Clemson University, submit the Yellow Ribbon Application. Students approved for the Yellow Ribbon Program will be notified by email.
    This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The portion or percentage of the program maximum amounts to be received is determined by the length of the aggregate service and/or disability status.
  • Chapter 35 Dependents Assistance
    This program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers a monthly amount of $1,041 for up to 45 months of education benefits.
  • Chapter 1606 Select Reserve
    The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserves, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
  • Section 702 Veterans Choice Act
    Clemson University is pleased to offer in-state tuition rates to our qualifying veterans and their dependents. For more information regarding Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act, please see information provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Receiving Benefits

Receiving and Retaining Benefits

  • Certificate of Eligibility
    Once the Department of Veteran's Affairs has received your application and all the necessary documentation, the claim will be processed. Veterans and eligible dependents will receive notification of this action in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate will indicate the type of benefit you are entitled to, the number of months you have to use your benefit and the date your benefit will expire.
  • Enrollment Verification for Benefit Eligibility

    The University Certifying Official reports all the information regarding your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Any changes in enrollment is electronically submitted to the DVA. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606 & 1607 are required to Verify Enrollment (W.A.V.E) to the VA at the end of each month. No paperwork will be forwarded to the Veterans Administration for processing and payment without the student's request.

    All students must complete the Benefits Request Form to certify enrollment for each term that they wish to receive benefits. Completed forms are electronically sent to the office of the Certifying Official. No paperwork will be forwarded to the Veterans Administration for processing and payment without the student's request to certify enrollment terms as required in the form.

  • Audits, Withdrawals, Electives and Repeating a Course
    The VA prohibits payment for any course that is not required for graduation. This includes repeats of a grade 'D' or better (unless a higher grade is required), withdrawals; the CO-OP program and excessive electives cannot be certified. This does not apply for courses that you failed and must have for graduation. If you are unsure if a class can be certified, please contact our office at 864-656-5280.
  • Changes in Student Status
    All students using education benefits from the VA are required by law to keep the University Certifying Official informed of all of the following:
    • Periods of enrollment
    • Audits and withdrawals
    • Change of major
    • Curriculum year changes
    • Course substitutions
    • Address change
    • Students called to Active Duty
      See Withdrawal Options
    Dropping your enrollment below the Minimum Credit Load (PDF) for veterans may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. Several different methods are used to collect over-payments. A statement of mitigating circumstances and supportive documentation may need to be submitted to the Veterans Administration.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress
    All students receiving education benefits from the VA are required to maintain academic progress according to the standards established by Clemson University. Clemson University's Standards of Progress are submitted to the state approving agency and the Department of Veteran's Affairs. Students who do not maintain satisfactory progress will have their benefits discounted and the Certifying Official will inform the VA of this action. The VA will determine the conditions for reinstatement of benefits.
  • Application for Veteran's Benefits
    VA applications are designed to obtain the necessary information to determine your eligibility for educational assistance. Students may apply for educational benefits after being accepted to the University. Information regarding eligibility, applications, and certification may be obtained from the Veterans Administration (1-888-GI-BILL-1). To apply for veterans benefits, please visit the Veterans Administration.
  • Credit Hours for VA Benefits
    Ensure you meet the minimum credit hours for VA benefits. Check the Required Credit Hours (PDF) for all terms.
  • General Information
    • The Veterans Administration Educational Benefits are paid on a monthly basis. Students are required to pay the usual fees to the University at the time of registration. The first benefit check will be received approximately six to eight weeks after the first day of class.
    • Veterans Administration programs and policies and University services and procedures frequently change. Students should maintain contact with the certifying official's office.
    • Students' enrollment will be certified by semester or session. Payment should be continuous (including intervals between terms) if the students' request is received at least 40 days before the next enrollment period and there is not a break of 30 days or more between the semesters or sessions.
    • If a student withdraws from the University, drops a course that changes their training time—see Credit Hour Requirements (PDF)—or changes their major, they should contact this office about the necessary forms to complete: 864-656-5280 or email VA Benefits.
Download adobe reader.