Skip to Content

Administrative Guide

Audio Visual Equipment and Room Reservations

There are three designated classrooms in the Chemistry building. Hunter 100, Hunter 158, and Hunter 470. We also have 3 meeting rooms (Hunter 219, Hunter 459 and Hunter 385). In addition there are 2 small rooms used primarily for test taking ( 215C and 215D). In order to support these facilities, as well as other needs, a variety of audio visual equipment is available. Contact the main office (656-3065) to reserve our Conference Room (219B Hunter); Hunter Auditorium (100 Hunter); Small Conference Rooms(385 Hunter and 459 Hunter); Classrooms: 158 or 470 Hunter or testing rooms ( 215C and 215D). An office staff person will be able to assist in determining which room will suit your needs. We have for use on a temporary basis; laser pointers, power cords, USB cords, projector cords, projectors, a laptop, wireless card, and smart board accessories. You must sign these out with an office staff member and return within 24 hours unless other arrangements are made.

Building Repairs and Maintenance

Scott Drayton, the Building Manager/Safety Officer, is responsible for all building repair and maintenance issues, fume hood operation problems, lab accident or injury reports, and building access and security. Scott's office is located in Hunter 261 and he can be reached at 656-0671 or

If regular service is required please email Scott with all the pertinent information. In the case of an emergency, please contact Scott at 656-0671 or the main office at 656-3065 indicating the urgency. For all after hours building emergencies contact the CUPD at 656-2222 or in the case of a personal injury emergency call 911.

Business Office Operations

The Chemistry Main Office is located on the second floor of the Chemistry Building in Hunter 219 and is open from 8:00 a.m.– 4:30 p.m. weekdays. The following individuals/functions are located in this area.

Sharon Smith is the Office Manager. Specific responsibilities include the establishment, reclassification, and recruitment of staff and faculty positions, listing of staff and faculty vacancies, employment coordination of postdoctoral fellow recruitment, and is the administrative assistant to the Chair of the department.

Sharon Smith is responsible for payroll requests and changes for faculty, staff, post-docs and students; maintenance of employment related records; coordinating hourly employment; oversees the work study program. Sharon processes payroll forms to include new hires; rate changes; terminations; and job earnings distributions. She can also help resolve problems concerning payroll and/or deductions. Sharon handles the strategic planning and proposal development for gift solicitation, fundraising opportunities, and administrative support for faculty searches, faculty awards, and TPR Committee.

Alex Villano is responsible for providing support to the department in the areas of purchasing and payables. Alex is responsible for reconciling income and expenses made on departmental accounts, technical service accounts, and non-contract and grant accounts. She also processes billings for technical services, travel reimbursements, purchasing cards requests, purchase requisitions, interdepartmental orders and participant support payments . Alex is located in Hunter 235B.

Heather Shelton is the Graduate Student Coordinator. She plans, designs, implements, and supervises a variety of professional duties and responsibilities relative to the graduate degree program and the graduate recruiting program. She is responsible for student seminars, academic advising related to academics, registration, financial aid, degree programs. and coordinates visa processing to include J-1 and H1-B. All incoming graduate applications, student visits and prospective student questions are all coordinated by Heather as well.

Kristine Coleman is the Undergraduate Student Coordinator. She serves as the principal resource person for faculty members and students on matters related to the undergraduate program. The Coordinator is responsible for recording grades, filing semester grade reports, recording transfer students, maintaining advisory files, class scheduling and classroom assignments, student registration, processing lab exemptions, Chemistry Library, and Student Honors and Awards. 

Christine Dinger is the administrative assistant for the department. Her responsibilities include issuing keys and office supplies, room reservations, sorting of incoming mail, coordinating information for the departmental seminar program, handling mailbox assignments, coordinating audio visual equipment requests, processing of UPS mailing requests,activation of data and voice lines, processing of parking passes, ordering of office supplies, copier problems, travel arrangement assistance, lost and found, and department website. Christine has a wide range of general information and is usually able to refer specific questions to the best source for assistance.

Chairman’s Office

The Chair’s Office is located on the second floor in Hunter 219 office suite. Appointments with the Chair, Dr. Bill Pennington, should be scheduled through his Administrative Assistant, Sharon Smith (656-5017).

Chemical Notations

Chem Discovery is the departmental newsletter published two times during the school year(Fall and Spring). It is distributed to faculty, postdocs, staff, graduate students, alumni, and donors. Please submit items for consideration to appear in Chem Discovery to the Managing Editor.

Computer Services and Support

CCIT provides extensive computer services for faculty, staff and students. For questions or requests you may contact the CCIT Helpdesk at 656-2720.

Computer Software

This service is available to all Clemson University faculty, staff, graduate students and undergraduate students.

The CCIT Help Desk offers students, staff, and faculty a CD containing licensed and free software used by Clemson University.

Additionally, the CCIT Software Repository is a collection of software available for current Faculty, Staff, and Students of Clemson University. The software provided is subject to current software licenses of Clemson University. For more information please visit the links below:

Service Desk Software CDs (fee required)

CCIT Software Repository (requires CUID and password)

CCIT Software Licensing Site

General Software Recommendations

Copy Machine Usage

The Ricoh Aficio MP 7503 and Aficio MP 4002 copiers located in 215 Hunter are to be used for regular copying or high-volume copying. They are to be used for Chemistry Department use only. The copiers have many features: collating, stapling, enlargements, reductions, hole punch, email pdf, and transparencies. The appropriate transparencies can be obtained from the main office (Hunter 219). All faculty, staff, and students must have a copier ID code in order to use the copiers. All students should contact their advisor for their code. See a main office staff member for Copier Machine paper jams, etc. Requests to mail the print driver to install on your computer to utilize this machine may be sent to Christine Dinger (Hunter 219). Also available for use in Hunter 219 is a PDF Digital Sender, Scanner, MAC Computer, Binding Machine, large paper cutter and a heavy duty stapler.

Facsimile Transmissions

The Department has one facsimile machine for general department business use located in the Mailroom (Hunter 215, tel. 656-6613). All incoming faxes will be placed in the recipient's mailbox. This is a business fax only and solicitations are prohibited. To send a facsimile message long distance, a long distance billing number is required. This can be obtained from your advisor if you are a graduate student. Please see a main office staff member (Hunter 219) for all other long distance fax requests.

Fume Hood Operation

Fume hoods in all research laboratories are mandated by OSHA regulations and specify that toxic substances may need to be handled inside a fume hood. If you experience problems with the fume hoods please contact Scott Drayton (Hunter 261).

Hourly Employment

Work study students are the primary source of hourly vacancies. Requests for employee hiring should be made through Sharon Smith in the Main Office (Hunter 219). We do not offer assistantships or hourly employment to graduate students outside of our department unless a job opening is specifically listed on our job posting page.


Chipped ice machines are located on the 3rd and 4th floors.

The ice is intended for research and teaching laboratory experiments only. This ice is not suitable for human consumption.


To obtain keys for routine use, contact Christine in the Main Office (Hunter 219). A Key Request Form, which requires an authorizing signature, must be completed prior to issuance of a key. Keys should be returned at final departure from the department,

Laboratory Accident Report

Following an accident in a teaching or research laboratory in the Chemistry Building, an Accident Report is required. This form should be completed whether or not there are injuries. Please contact Scott Drayton (Hunter 261).

Laboratory Injury Report

All injuries should be documented. Please contact Scott Drayton (Hunter 261).


Our departmental library is located in Hunter 205. Books and journals are not to be removed from the library. All books and journals are to be re-shelved after usage. Food and drinks are not allowed in the library.

Liquid Nitrogen

Liquid nitrogen can be obtained from Robin Wilmott in Main Stockroom (Hunter 235). For orders placed by those outside the department please have a signed IDO when making your request. Please contact Robin with any specific questions you may have at 656-3128.

Lost and Found

Items found in the Chemistry Department should be turned in to the Main Office (Hunter 219). The Main Office will hold such items until the end of each semester. If no claim is made in that time, the item will be either donated or disposed of at the discretion of the department.


U.S. Mail and campus mail is delivered once each weekday to the Main Office. U.S. Mail is sorted and placed in the mailboxes, usually by noon daily. ALL NON-CHEMISTRY RELATED MAIL SHOULD BE SENT TO YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS.

All out-going business (non-personal) mail to be posted is to be delivered to the Mailroom (Hunter 215) and placed in the outgoing mailbox.

Outgoing personal mail may be placed in the outgoing box as well. All personal mail must have the appropriate postage already posted on it.

The CAMPUS mailbox is for mail which is addressed to other Clemson departments.

When special delivery letters are received, the addressee will be notified via a yellow form that will be placed in your box. You must take this yellow form to the campus post office to pick up your package.

UPS and Federal Express packages arrive in the loading area. They are received by the Main Stockroom several times a day. Robin Wilmott (Hunter 235) will write your name on the whiteboard and notify you via email that you have a package to be picked up.

For mail requiring special handling, such as UPS or Fedex please see Christine (Hunter 219).

Mailbox Assignment

Administrative staff, technical staff, and faculty mailboxes are located in the Mailroom (Hunter 215). Graduate students, post-docs, and select undergraduate students are assigned individual mailboxes. These are located in the Graduate Student Lounge (Hunter 370).If you have a question or would like to request a mailbox, please contact Christine (Hunter 219).

Your mailing address if you are staff or faculty is: Your name, Dept. of Chemistry, (your office #) Hunter Lab., Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0973.

Your mailing address if you are a graduate student, post-doc, or undergraduate is: Your name, Dept. of Chemistry, 370 Hunter Lab., Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0973.

Office Supplies

Many common office supply items are stocked in the Main Office. Faculty, staff, and graduate students may obtain supplies from the supply closet. When taking anything from the supply closet you must write down the items taken on the checkout list on the door. Special order items may be requisitioned by faculty, staff members, and graduate students with the permission of their advisor by contacting Christine (Hunter 219).

Out of Pocket Expenses

Reimbursements will not be made for items that are an allowable charge on the purchasing card. The Tiger Stripe Card and Purchasing Card are available for check out from Christine (Hunter 219) in the Main Office.

Parking and Decal Information

The Parking Services Department is responsible for issuing vehicle parking permits, receiving parking citation payments, and maintaining records of parking permits and parking citations issued to violators of the Clemson University Parking Regulations.

To request a temporary visitor's pass for guests coming in on departmental business please contact Christine (Hunter 219) at least 24 hours in advance. The visitor's pass can not be used for employees or students of the university. If you have lost or forgot your parking decal you will need to contact Parking Services.

Paycheck Schedules

The University pays employees on the 15th and the last day of the month. If the 15th or last day of the month falls on a weekend, the payday will be the Friday prior to the weekend. Faculty is paid for their current time worked on a 9 month schedule. Staff and students are paid on a 12 month schedule and there is a 2 week lag.

Useful information:

Directions to view your on-line pay stub

Employee Time Record Sheet for hourly employees


In order to initiate a request for a purchase for items not carried in Chemistry Stockroom, a Purchase Order Form must be prepared, signed and submitted to :

Robin Wilmott (Hunter 235) — orders scientific and technical supplies

Christine Dinger (Hunter 219) — orders office supplies and UPS shipments

Alex Villano  (Hunter 235B) — All other order requests

Room Reservations

See a main office staff member (Hunter 219) to reserve our Conference Room (219B Hunter); Hunter Auditorium (100 Hunter); Small Conference Rooms (385 Hunter and 459 Hunter); Small meeting rooms (, 215C and 215D) or Classrooms: 158 or 470 Hunter.

Scientific Stores

The department has three Stockrooms which maintain a stock of the commonly used chemicals and supplies required for teaching laboratories and research.

Main Stockroom (Hunter 235) Managed by Robin Wilmott

General Chemistry Stockroom (Hunter 141) Managed by Will Wannamaker

Organic Chemistry Stockroom (Hunter 337) Managed by Stefan Wunderlich

Security and Theft

The only way to maintain security is through the use of locks and controlled issuance of keys and badges to the locked areas. Laboratories and offices should be kept locked except when someone is present. Purses, radios, books, calculators and other valuable items should be kept locked up at all times.

Student Thesis and Dissertations

Any department printer EXCEPT the color laser printer in Hunter 219 may be used to print review copies of student theses / dissertations. The color printer in Hunter 219 is out of production and expensive to run, so it needs to be reserved for special jobs, which does not include reader copies of student theses / dissertations.

To the extent possible, all of the printer / copiers in Hunter 219 should be reserved for department business. Printing of student theses / dissertations on these printers during business hours is disruptive and should be avoided. There are plenty of other dept printers / copiers that can be used; please try to use those.

Orders for special (e.g. acid-free) paper for use in printing student theses / dissertation will not be accommodated. If you want to use department printers for printing your thesis / dissertation you can be satisfied with the department paper. 

Three-ring binders from the department office supplies closet may be used to bind reader copies of theses /dissertations, but they should be RETURNED after use, to be re-used. If they are returned you will not be charged for them. These binders are about $10 each and it is wasteful to use them just once for reader copies that are usually discarded after a defense. 

Chemistry dept staff are not to be used to help print or collate student theses / dissertations. The staff all have jobs they need to be doing, and if they spend time printing / collating student theses / dissertations then they will fall behind in their other work. Printing / collating of student theses / dissertations should be done by students.

Please note that hard copies of thesis / dissertations are no longer required by the grad school or the department. Thesis / dissertation submission is now totally electronic. Bound hard copies may be ordered at the time the electronic copy (pdf) is uploaded. So, department resources should not be used to create hard copies for binding. 

Supplies and Purchases (General)

The Chemistry Scientific Stockrooms (Hunter 141, 235 and 337) carry chemicals and supplies required routinely for teaching and research laboratories. Administrative supplies such as pens, pencils, and paper are stocked in the Supply Closet located in the Main Office (Hunter 219)

For more detailed information about these topics refer to:


The Chemistry Building contains a large network of telephones, including at least one telephone in the corridor of all floors. These telephones are primarily intended for emergency use, and non-emergency calls should be immediately terminated if an emergency arises.

Long distance and directory assistance calls must be placed using a billing number. Toll free numbers, calling card calls and collect calls can be made directly without use of this billing number. Long distance billing numbers are assigned through a request to Christine Dinger in the Main Office (Hunter 219). Graduate students and postdocs must get approval, as well as an account number, from their faculty advisors. If it is necessary to make a personal call from a university telephone, it should be billed to your personal calling card.

Repairs, additional services or changes in existing services can be requested through Christine in the Main Office (Hunter 219).

Data jacks are activated by a request to Christine Dinger that must include the jack ID number (available on the wall plate) and an account number.

Telephone Directory

University Directory


All travel processes and reimbursements are coordinated by Alex Villano (Hunter 235B). Faculty who travel overseas must receive approval from the dept. chair and Dean. Anyone who is traveling on Chemistry Department business and desires reimbursement must fill out the instate Travel Reimbursement Form (XLS file) or the out-of-state Travel Reimbursement Form (XLS file).

Worker’s Compensation

Worker's Compensation is determined by state law and is intended as a protection for Clemson University employees. The law states that an injury or illness must arise out of and in the course of employment. Anyone injured on the job is covered, without regard to who is at fault. All Clemson employees who receive a pay check are eligible for coverage, including payment of medical expenses and part of lost wages (if applicable).