Skip to content


Resources for Current Undergraduate Majors

Are you a current undergraduate student in the Department of Chemistry? Have questions? On this page, you’ll find helpful information and numerous links to additional undergraduate resources about majors, advising, electives and more. Scroll down to explore further.

Pipette and vials of liquid.


Resources for Current Students

  • Changing Major or Declaring a Minor

    Changing Your Major

    Students planning on changing their major (or switching from a B.S. to B.A., or vice versa), must complete the Change of Academic Program Form.

    Declaring a Minor

    Students completing a Bachelor of Arts degree are required to declare and complete a minor field of study. In order to declare a minor, students must complete the Change of Academic Program Form.

    Learn more about minors and requirements.

  • Advising Information

    All Chemistry majors must contact their Chemistry faculty adviser in order to be cleared in iROAR to register.

    How Do I Find My Adviser?

    Your adviser is listed in iROAR in the student portal. Click on Student Records, and then proceed to the right column and you will see a link to “View Student Information.” Clicking on this link will provide the name of your primary adviser. Make sure you are looking in the upcoming semester in iROAR. Please confirm your adviser in iROAR before contacting a faculty adviser, as some students with a different curriculum path may not follow this general outline of class advisers. If you have any questions about your adviser, see the undergraduate student coordinator in Hunter 219.

    What should I bring to my advising appointment? Students need to be prepared to discuss the following at their advising appointment:

    • Current standing in all classes.
    • A list of courses to take in the upcoming semester.
    • An inventory of completed general education requirements and requirements still left to fulfill.

    What will be helpful at my advising appointment? Almost all University forms require the signature of an academic adviser, and a pre-registration meeting is a great time to handle all academic business.

    It is also highly recommended that you bring a copy of your DegreeWorks report to your advising appointment. You can access DegreeWorks through iROAR. If you believe you see an error on your DPR, consult with your academic adviser as soon as possible. Not all errors can be fixed during a student’s last semester. To do this, perform the following steps:

    • Log into iROAR with your Clemson University username and password.
    • Proceed to iROAR.
    • Click the Student tab.
    • Click the Student Records tab.
    • In the middle column, DegreeWorks is the last link.
    • You will be taken to a new page in your browser.
    • You can save your DPR as a PDF and email it to your adviser or print it.
  • Electives

    Both chemistry curricula (B.S. and B.A.) require six hours of elective credit in the field of chemistry. This gives students the opportunity to pick a field of chemistry (or another field of science) that fits with their interests or goals.

    In order for a course to qualify as a chemistry elective, it must meet the following criteria:

    • It must be a 3000 or 4000 level course.
    • It must be in the field of chemistry or another approved field of science.
    • It must contain an adequate amount of chemistry within its syllabus and course material.

    Department of Chemistry Electives

    These courses are pre-approved as meeting the requirements of a chemistry elective. These are acceptable for students pursuing either a B.A. or B.S. in chemistry.

    Department of Chemistry Electives Table

    Chemistry Elective Course Title Semester Offered
    CH 4000 Selected Topics every other year
    CH 4010 Organometallic Chemistry fall
    CH 4040 Bioinorganic Chemistry every other year
    CH 4130 Chemistry of Aqueous Systems spring
    CH 4140 Bioanalytical Chemistry every other year
    CH 4210 Advanced Organic Chemistry fall
    CH 4250 Medicinal Chemistry spring
    CH 4270 Organic Spectroscopy spring
    CH 4350 Atomic and Molecular Structure fall
    CH 4710 Teaching Chemistry every other year

    All chemistry majors are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser in selecting chemistry electives and confirming that the schedule of offerings and pre-requisites are accurate. These are subject to change.

    Electives Outside the Department of Chemistry

    There are also several courses that have already been approved as suitable options for the chemistry elective outside of the Department of Chemistry. In addition to these, the Department of Chemistry is willing to review any course a student believes meets the criteria of having an adequate amount of chemistry to qualify as an elective.

    Electives Outside the Department of Chemistry Table

    Elective Course Accepted** Course Title Acceptable for
    B.A. or B.S.
    BCHM 3010 Molecular Biochemistry B.A.
    BCHM 3050 Essential Elements of Biochemistry B.A.
    BCHM 4060 Physiological Chemistry both
    BCHM 4230 Principles of Biochemistry both
    CHE 3070 Unit Operations Laboratory both
    MS&E 4020 Solid State Materials both
    ENTOX 4210 Chemical Sources and Fate in Environmental Systems both
    ENTOX 4300 Toxicology both
    EE&S 4110 Ionizing Radiation Detection and Measurement both
    EE&S 4850 Hazardous Waste Management both
    FDSC 4020 Food Chemistry II both
    FDSC 4030 Food Chemistry and Analysis both
    GEOL 3180 Introduction to Geochemistry both
    PHYS 4520 Nuclear and Particle Physics both
    PHYS 4810 Physics of Surfaces both

    **Note: It is the responsibility of the student to adequately meet any and all pre-requisites requires by other departments with regard to chemistry electives.

Quick Links

Utilize these links to quickly access various resources.

To change your major, declare a minor, transfer credits from another institution, request academic forgiveness, check course substitutions and more, visit the University Forms page.

University Forms webpage

Have a suggestion? In an effort to understand the needs of undergraduate chemistry majors, the Department of Chemistry has created a “suggestion box.” Submissions will be reviewed by the undergraduate student coordinator and the chair of the department each semester. Submissions are anonymous.

Chemistry Suggestion Box submission form

Department of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry | 235 Hunter Chemistry Laboratory, Clemson, SC 29634