AAH Undeclared Students

All new and continuing students, who are enrolled in AAH Undeclared are assigned an academic advisor at the ASC until the point at which they declare a major. Once a student declares a major, that student is then assigned to an academic advisor within their major. 

If you are an AAH Undeclared student, you are required to meet with your advisor in order to access registration for courses for the upcoming term. Schedule an appointment with your advisor via CU Navigate.

Click below to review information and responses to commonly asked questions.

  • What is it like being in AAH Undeclared? Is it right for me?

    Being unsure of your major is a natural process for Clemson students. In fact, more than 50% of students change their major while at Clemson. In AAH Undeclared, students are provided resources for major exploration, but they will continue to take classes that will ideally move them towards graduation. If you are strongly leaning towards a major and feel comfortable declaring, we suggest you change into that major. This will connect you with an advising expert in your new department and provide you greater access to courses within that program.

  • What does my AAH Undeclared advisor help me with and how do I make an appointment?

    Your AAH Undeclared advisor can discuss degree requirements for your majors of interest:

    • Exploring majors of interest and ultimately declaring
    • Developing an academic plan
    • Navigating University policies and procedures
    • Accessing relevant campus resources

    Your advisor will provide you with information to help you follow through on your next steps as you shape your Clemson experience. Ultimately, the decision you will make about your major will come from your own research and exploration.

  • When do I have to declare by?

    We suggest you declare your major by the end of your first year when you will have completed most General Education requirements. At this point, majors typically have specific classes they would like you to take; there will be less crossover between multiple majors of interest. Still, if you do not feel ready to declare, our advisors will continue to support you until you do.

  • What courses will I take as an AAH Undeclared student?

    You will focus on your General Education requirements alongside any available introductory courses for your majors of interest. Please note that sometimes introductory courses have restrictions on them and will not be available to take. Please also note that it is not always possible to pick courses that will apply to every major of interest, so some classes may end up as electives. Your academic advisor will ensure you know which courses will apply to which majors of interest, so you can make informed decisions about your schedule each semester.

  • What resources are available to me regarding major exploration?

    You have many resources available to you during your major exploration. We suggest you check out the Degrees page, use DegreeWorks to explore major curricula, join clubs through TigerQuest, schedule Explore appointments with departmental advisors to ask questions about their majors using CU Navigate, and discuss further with the Center for Career and Professional Development.

    Additionally, we hope you will take advantage of the AAH Undeclared Guidebook developed by our team in collaboration with campus partners.

  • What career can I pursue with my major?

    Check out the Clemson Degrees page for ideas of what students have done with various majors. Each major has a profile that you can read through. The Center for Career and Professional Development can also provide you many opportunities for career exploration.

  • I know I want a closed/limited major. What is a parallel plan and why do I need one?

    Closed/limited majors only have a certain number of seats available in addition to the eligibility requirements and applications they may have. In some cases, even the best qualified students will not be able to change into those majors. Your advisor will ask you to build a parallel plan – another open major you are interested in and would be happy getting a degree in. If you are not able to change into a closed/limited major, you will be able to change into your open major of choice and complete your degree. Note that if you feel confident of your parallel plan, your academic advisor will strongly encourage you to declare that major while you work to become eligible and/or competitive for your closed/limited major of choice.

  • What are Pre-Business and General Engineering? Should I be in AAH Undeclared instead? What is CAFLS Undeclared?

    Both Pre-Business and General Engineering operate as a space for students as they are deciding on their ultimate Business or Engineering major. Most students interested in Business or Engineering are required to start off in Pre-Business or General Engineering respectively. (Note: The exceptions include BS Graphic Communications and BA Economics.) You might consider CAFLS Undeclared if you know you want to pursue a degree in the College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Life Sciences. 

    If you are confident that you plan to either move towards a Business, Engineering, or CAFLS related degree, we strongly suggest you declare in these areas. This will connect you with an advising expert and provide you greater access to courses within those programs.

  • What current students are eligible for AAH Undeclared?

    Students who meet academic eligibility requirements may transfer into AAH Undeclared only if they have completed 45 or fewer total credit hours. In addition to credits completed at Clemson University, total credit hours include credit hours transferred from another institution, dual enrollment, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and credit by exam.

    Students may submit a Change of Academic Program Request online. Key dates for COAP are outlined here.

  • I'm paying a fee for my major I don't want, but I'm ineligible to change into AAH Undeclared. What do I do?

    Your first step will be to change into your major of interest if possible. If not, your department may provide a waiver in these circumstances. Please discuss these options with your assigned advisor.