tiger fur photo
Healthy Campus logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Students seeking services should call CAPS reception at 864-656-2451 during business hours (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). Counselors will be available to conduct a brief phone screen to determine the best way to serve your needs.

During this time, the counselor will get a good understanding of your needs, gather history about you and develop a treatment plan. This plan will guide your work in therapy. In the treatment plan, you may be assigned to: individual counseling, skills-development workshops, one of the many group counseling options, an online treatment for depression or anxiety, or be given educational resources. CAPS treatment recommendations are very individualized and aimed at serving your individual needs.

Absolutely. CAPS honors a student’s right to confidentiality, except where specified by law.

CAPS will honor the five exceptions to confidentiality as defined by law.

  • When a student is a danger to self or others.

  • When child abuse is suspected.

  • When abuse to the elderly or the disabled is suspected.

  • When CAPS is court-ordered to release the records.

  • At all other times, a student must provide a written release of confidential information.

Mental health records are not part of the academic records.

CAPS will neither confirm nor deny if a student is receiving services at CAPS, even when well-intentioned third parties inquire. Unless of course, you give us consent, in writing, to disclose this information to someone of your choosing.

When a student pays the health fee, he/she has access to the CAPS services at no cost. Some CAPS services carry a fee; these include: psychiatric consultation, nutritional counseling, psychological evaluations/testing and mandated ACTT assessments.

Both modalities are good; however, you and your counselor can determine the optimal form of intervention.

Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Most students will use their existing coping skills to resolve their concerns. If, after using these skills, a student is still struggling, then accessing professional services is recommended.

In case of emergency/crisis, students can access the CAPS counselor on call. Simply call Clemson University Police Department at 864-656-2222, and ask to speak to the CAPS counselor on call. You will be asked to give your name and phone number, and the counselor will call you back. This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

English is the main language of CAPS counselors. You can bring a translator if desired.

Religious counseling is not provided by CAPS. However, if spirituality is a strength, or a concern, counselors will be sensitive to your inquiries.