A seaside town on the edge of a mountain

Registration While Abroad

Students who are participating in an exchange program with one of our overseas exchange partners are registered in SAP 1010 (Study Abroad Program 1010). Students who are participating in a study abroad program through a third-party provider or outside organization are registered in TSAP 1010 (Transient Study Abroad Program).

Registration in SAP or TSAP ensures that students maintain their active student status at Clemson and that no application for readmission will be required to return from study abroad. Additionally, students must be registered for SAP or TSAP in order to access scholarships and financial aid. Students must consult with the financial aid office to determine the availability of financial aid for their specific programs.

Students who are participating in faculty-led or directed programs will be registered in Clemson courses. Clemson study abroad courses must have 600 or higher section numbers. Students are registered in these courses by the appropriate departmental registration coordinator. Your student can talk with her or his academic advisor to determine academic goals.

Course Equivalency Process

Students who participate in a Clemson exchange program or a third-party program will be transferring back credits (not letter grades) to Clemson University. These students need to ensure that the credits that they take abroad are equated to specific Clemson credits. This is done BEFORE the student studies abroad. Course approvals are completed in each department on campus, and students complete the Request for Approval of Courses to be Taken Abroad form. Credit values vary from country to country, and course credits abroad do not always equal a 3 or 4 credit course at Clemson. Students who are transferring credit from a foreign university should consult this document for information about credit transfer from their host university. Not all universities are listed--please discuss any questions with Clemson Abroad.

All Clemson students (except those participating in Clemson faculty-led programs) are required to complete a Request for Approval of Courses to be Taken Abroad form. Students must take official descriptions of the courses that they are considering taking overseas along with the Request for Approval of Courses to be Taken Abroad form to the relevant department chairs or faculty advisers to determine the equivalent course at Clemson. See list of departmental faculty advisers.

Advisers and students can also use the Transfer Course Equivalency List (TCEL) to find approved Clemson equivalents for courses taken abroad at a  host university or through a school of record for a third-party program.  Please note, for upper-level business courses (3000- and 4000-level courses with the rubrics of ACCT, BUS, ELE, FIN, LAW, MGT, and MKT), transfer credits will only be accepted from AACSB International and/or EQUIS accredited institutions.  Please see the College of Business Office of Student Enrichment’s website for more information.

Department advisors may request more detail concerning courses taken abroad. In these cases, the student is responsible for obtaining course syllabi from the host institution or program provider. We recommend that students get more courses approved and equated than they will need to take while abroad in case of cancellations or scheduling conflicts after they arrive at their study abroad site. Please keep in mind that international universities may not have course descriptions like those typical in the U.S. and in some instances it may be necessary to list general requirements for which credit would be appropriate (e.g. Psychology 300 level/PSYCH 3**) and update the form once students have registered at their host institution and emailed their final schedules to their advisers.

The academic adviser must also sign the form. After the form is completed, it should be returned to the Study Abroad Office.

If a student switches courses after he/she arrives overseas he/she may contact his/her Study Abroad Adviser for assistance. We also recommend that students get in touch with their academic adviser for guidance.

Credit Transfer Upon Return

After students complete their study abroad programs, the host institution or program provider sends a transcript directly to Clemson Abroad. Transcripts must come from an official school of record—please discuss with our office and your provider. Transcripts may take up to three months to reach our office. Students with financial aid should discuss the impact to their funding with Clemson Abroad and the Office of Student Financial Aid. Once the transcript reaches our office, the courses listed are matched with those on the Request for Approval of Work to be Taken Abroad Form. If all courses match, the transcript is taken to the Registrar's Office for posting on the student's transcript. If there are courses on the transcript which do not appear on the Request for Approval of Work to be Taken Abroad Form, then the student is notified and must obtain approval for those courses.

A student must receive the equivalent of a Clemson “C” or higher in order to transfer credit. Once courses transfer to Clemson, the grades do not impact a student’s Clemson GPR. However, if a student’s study abroad transcript is issued by a US institution, their grades from abroad may be evaluated by financial aid sources to determine scholarship eligibility. Please discuss this with the Office of Student Financial Aid. NOTE: Different policies apply to transfer of graduate credit. It is the student's responsibility to check with his/her academic adviser and the graduate school regarding transfer of credit for graduate courses and other required forms. See graduate school academic regulations. An academic adviser can check on the status of an advisee's transcript at any time by calling the Clemson Abroad Office.

Cross-Cultural Awareness Requirement

Undergraduate students at Clemson University must satisfy a general education cross-cultural awareness (CCA) requirement. This requirement may be met by completing a specific course from the list of approved CCA courses or through an international experience. The list of approved CCA courses may be found in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog.

Policy for Satisfying the General Education Cross-Cultural Awareness Requirement Through an International Experience

Approved by the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee on October 5, 2018. UPDATED February 1, 2019

Students may fulfill the institution's Cross-Cultural Awareness (CCA) requirement in one of two ways:

  1. Successful completion of a specific Clemson University course from the list of approved CCA courses
  2. Through a university approved cross-cultural experience.
An international experience will fulfill the CCA requirement if it satisfies either I. (a) or I. (b) below, and the student successfully completes IS 1010 as described in (II). IS 1010 is a one-credit, online course that is taught via Canvas. Enrolled students are responsible for any tuition and fees associated with this course.

I. Qualifying Experiences
  1. The international experience is an approved study abroad program, internship/work experience*, research assignment*, military service*, or service-learning program* of at least 3 months duration. Students participating in * program types should contact Clemson Abroad at to enroll in IS 1010.
  2. International experience of shorter duration (e.g., summer study abroad programs) which incorporates specific features (e.g., home-stay in the target language setting, a structured activity addressing intercultural issues, etc.) designed to intensify the cross-cultural experience. Shorter programs must be a minimum of four weeks in duration. To determine if an international experience may be used to fulfill the CCA requirement, please contact the Clemson Abroad Office at

II. Enrolling in IS 1010

To fulfill the CCA requirement using one of the above international experiences, the student must enroll in and successfully complete the one-credit IS 1010 course.  With the exception of military service, it is strongly recommended that students enroll in IS 1010 concurrently with their study abroad program or other international experience.  

Students participating in an approved study abroad program can indicate their request to enroll in IS 1010 by answering “yes” within the Cross-cultural Awareness Requirement questionnaire prior to the start of the desired enrollment term. The questionnaire is located within the Clemson Abroad online application. Assuming the program meets the requirements listed above and that the student has answered the associated application questionnaire indicating that they wish to enroll in IS 1010, Clemson Abroad will enroll the student in the course during the term that the student is abroad.

In exceptional circumstances, a student may petition to take the course after completion of the qualifying experience if the experience occurred no more than 18 months prior to the beginning of the course. All petitions and any appeal to the above guidelines must be submitted in writing to the Enrollment of approved students will be facilitated by Clemson Abroad.