Skip to content

Pam Hendrix Center for Education Abroad

Resources While Abroad

For continued success during your international experience

During your study abroad experience, you may need to change your coursework, register for your next semester at Clemson or learn what to do if you need medical attention. We want to make sure you have the resources necessary to have a successful international experience wherever your adventures take place.

Resources to Bookmark

Using CISI (Cultural Insurance Services International) Insurance

A month prior to departure, students covered under Clemson's CISI plan (please review our International Medical Insurance page for more information on who utilizes this coverage) receive an email from CISI enrollments with the subject line "CISI materials". This email will include:

  • Outline of your coverage.
  • Digital ID Card.
  • Consulate Letter.
  • Claim Form.
  • Link to create a login on the CISI participant portal.
  • Link to the myCISI Traveler App

In case of a minor injury or illness - Have your insurance information with you in case the facility can bill CISI directly. It is quite common for students to pay out of pocket for these smaller visits and utilize the CISI Claim Form to seek reimbursement.

In the case of serious injury or illness - Seek help from the closest medical facility first, then open a case with AXA Assistance by emailing AXA can guarantee and make payments when necessary or requested

Locating a medical provider or hospital in my location - To locate a CISI pre-paid approved provider you can do the following:

  1. Contact AXA Assistance by calling the numbers on your insurance card.
  2. Log into your myCISI portal or myCISI Traveler App and click on "Provider Search", select country and city to see a list of pre-payment approved providers.

It is important to note that there are no "in-network" or "out-of-network" restrictions on your insurance coverage.

Review the myCISI Participant Portal Guide and the myCISI Traveler App guidelines to ensure that you know how to get the medical support you need in your location.

For more information, please review our Study Abroad Medical Travel Insurance page for more information, you are also welcome to email to seek guidance on your international medical insurance coverage.

Changing Coursework Abroad

Some students may change their course enrollment while abroad based on availability, class schedules, etc. If you enroll in a course not listed and pre-approved on your Coursework Approval Form, you should seek departmental approval for this course and add it to your existing form.

You can access your current Coursework Approval Form in your Clemson study abroad application under Documents or download an additional form. Please see our Academic Coursework page to review this process if needed.

Completing Your Verification of Enrollment

Students utilizing financial aid receive a Verification of Enrollment from the Financial Aid Office. This form should be completed by your host institution or program provider upon arrival once your course enrollment is official. Until this form is returned to the Clemson Financial Aid Office your financial aid cannot be dispersed.

Registering for Clemson Courses

Students studying abroad during a semester will register for the next term of Clemson courses while abroad. Be sure to continue checking your Clemson email for information from your academic advisors on pre-registration advising for your registration PIN number. Please note your registration time will be based on Eastern Standard Time, not your local time.

Checking Your Clemson Email

It is important to check your Clemson email while abroad. You will continue to receive regular notifications about deadlines such as FAFSA, scholarships, housing, advising, etc. as you would normally receive on campus. You will also receive important AlertTraveler notifications via email as well.

Lost Your Passport

Here is what you should do if your passport is lost or stolen while traveling abroad:

    1. Report the loss or theft of your US passport online, by mail, or over the phone and complete Form DS-64.
    2. Locate the nearest US Embassy or Consulate and schedule an appointment to replace your lost or stolen passport. You must submit Form DS-11 in person.
    3. If you had a visa in your passport, make sure to contact the local immigration office reporting the theft/loss so that you can either transfer the visa or obtain a new one.

Using Your Smartphone Abroad

Wireless companies around the world use different technologies and networks that may not be compatible with your US phone.

    • Check your phone’s manual or contact your wireless provider to determine if your phone will work at your destination.
    • Many wireless plans do not include calls, texts, or data while traveling internationally. Check with your provider to ensure they offer international packages.
    • Find out if your phone is a GSM (quad-band) phone and if it is locked. Ask your cell phone carrier to unlock your phone so you can remove your existing cell company’s SIM card and replace it with one from a local company (convenience or cell phone store) in your destination. SIM cards enable you to make phone calls in the country you are in, give you data so you can get online, and provide you with a local phone number.
    • If you cannot get your phone unlocked, consider purchasing an unlocked phone upon arrival on-site, or turn off cell data and use WIFI to access websites and apps.
    • Consider using smartphone apps like Skype, WhatsApp, or Signal to stay in touch. These apps let you talk and send texts for free or cheap to anyone around the world if you have an internet connection.