Skip to content

Pam Hendrix Center for Education Abroad

Health and Safety Preparedness

Resources for Your Experience

Students' safety and security are the highest priority for Clemson University. The Pam Hendrix Center for Education Abroad has policies and procedures to help protect study abroad participants’ safety and well-being. While we can never eliminate all potential risks while abroad, below are resources to prepare for a study abroad experience and minimize potential risks.

In addition to the information on this page, all students preparing to study abroad must attend a Pre-Departure Orientation session in which health and safety issues are covered in detail. Please refer to the Pre-Departure Orientation Handbook for additional health and safety information. In an emergency abroad, please get to a safe location and contact the local authorities, your on-site support staff and Clemson University.

Registering your Trip

U.S. citizens living abroad can register with their nearest embassy or consulate through the U.S. Department of State's website. Your study abroad application will prompt you to register your travel. By doing so, you will receive updated information on travel and security within the country to which you are heading. You also make it easier for the U.S. Embassy (and your family) to locate you in case of an emergency or disaster.

Travel Vaccinations

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is recognized as the leading federal agency for promoting, preventing, and controlling disease, injury and disability. The CDC's Travelers' Health website contains information you should consult prior to departure. With your doctor's guidance, this site will also help you determine the immunizations required and suggested for the area(s) where you plan to travel. Since some vaccinations require a series of medical visits over several months before entering your host country, you should investigate if you need immunizations.

For more information regarding immunizations, contact Redfern Health Center (students) at 864-656-1541 or Joseph F. Sullivan Center (faculty and staff) at 864-656-3076. You can make appointments at Redfern Health Center online.

Taking your Prescriptions Abroad

Studying abroad is not a miracle cure! If you are on any medication prior to going abroad, the Pam Hendrix Center for Education Abroad and our campus partners can assist you in ensuring that you can travel with these medications or have them available on-site. Please be aware that not all medications are allowed or may require special documentation for other countries, even if they are prescriptions. Preparation and prevention are key! Here are some ways to be prepared:

  • Make a travel consultation appointment with Redfern as soon as possible.
  • Please meet with your doctor as soon as possible (even when you are just considering a study abroad program) to discuss taking your medications abroad.
  • Review the International Narcotics Control Board website to determine if your prescription can be brought into the country you are studying in.
  • Contact your study abroad adviser and CISI (Cultural Insurance Services International) to arrange for your medication to be accessed abroad if you cannot travel with it.