Applying for a Program

River running through a row of colorful buildings

Application Deadlines:

March 1 for Summer/Fall semester programs

October 1 for Spring semester programs

How to Apply:

  1. Visit our Program Search page.
  2. Search for the program you are applying for using the Program Name or location.
  3. Click on your program’s link to be taken to that program’s informational page.
  4. Click the “Apply Now” button.

Additional Application Materials

Recommendation: The recommendation is included as a component of your online application to study abroad. It should be completed by a professor or academic adviser—someone who is familiar with your academic performance. Some programs may require more than one reference.

Study Abroad Insurance: All students participating in a study abroad program or other university-affiliated international travel (student organizations, international co-op or internship, dissertation research, university-funded travel, etc.) are required to use international insurance. For more information about Clemson’s international insurance policy, please visit the Insurance page.

Clemson University study abroad insurance is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). The insurance policy covers basic medical expenses, medical evacuation, medical reunion, repatriation, and a security evacuation rider. Enrollment is $39/month for each month that the student is studying abroad. Students can enroll for up to 1 additional month of coverage if planning to extend time abroad. The enrollment must be completed prior to departure and proof of insurance sent to the Clemson Study Abroad Office.

Coursework Approval Form: This form helps students and advisers in planning study abroad course choices. In meetings with a study abroad adviser and your academic adviser, you will determine which courses to take during your program and find Clemson University equivalents for those courses. You can also use the TCEL to find courses. Credit values vary from country to country, and course credits abroad do not always equal a 3 or 4 credit course at Clemson. Students who are transferring credit from a foreign university should consult this document for information about credit transfer from their host university. Not all universities are listed--please discuss any questions with Clemson Abroad. If you receive financial aid at Clemson, you need to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans to study abroad. The FA Office will sign your form before you return it to the Study Abroad Office. When you return from a program, your foreign transcripts are compared to the CWAF forms, then approved by the registrar and credits (not grades) are added to your Clemson transcripts. You must earn a grade of "C" or higher for credit to transfer.
Download the Coursework Approval Form
See list of departmental faculty advisers

Passport: You will need a passport to travel abroad. Your passport should be valid through 6 months after your program ends, so you may need to renew your passport. Allow several months for ordering or renewing a passport and submitting copies to the Study Abroad Office and your program.

Visas: Students studying abroad often have to obtain student or tourist visas, depending on the length of their stay. Each country has different requirements in their application process. The Study Abroad Office does not coordinate visa applications for all study abroad students; there are some programs that are an exception. Discuss visa requirements with Study Abroad staff.

Disciplinary Clearance Many third-party providers require confirmation of students’ university disciplinary record. The Study Abroad Office does not have direct access to these records and cannot provide signatures or approvals related to these records. For this approval, students must contact the Office of Community and Ethical Standards in 912 University Union.

Flight Itinerary: The Study Abroad Office requires a copy of your flight itinerary to and from your program location.

Transcript: Your program will require you to submit an official or unofficial copy of your Clemson University transcript with your application. Official copies can be requested through the registrar’s office in 104 Sikes Hall or online via the registrar's website. You can access an unofficial copy through iROAR.

Pre-Departure Orientation: All Clemson students participating in study abroad are required to attend a pre-departure orientation session held by Clemson Abroad. These sessions discuss safety, health, insurance, course registration, cultural adjustment and other important topics related to your time abroad. We will announce upcoming orientation sessions via email and on our calendar page.

37/43 Residency Policy: This form is designed to prevent students from receiving a Clemson degree if they completed most of their coursework elsewhere. For study abroad purposes, it notifies the Office of Undergraduate Studies that a junior or senior student will be taking courses (a percentage of their last 43 hours) through a non-Clemson university or program. Junior students should complete the form upon returning to Clemson after their term abroad; seniors should complete the form before going abroad.
Download the 37/43 Residency Form