Receiving Credit from Study Abroad
Study Abroad Coursework Approval Process
Students who will be transferring their coursework to Clemson after their study abroad experience are required to have their courses approved prior to departure. Courses are approved by the academic department overseeing the Clemson equivalent course(s). The Request for Approval of Courses to be Taken Abroad form is utilized to facilitate the approval and transfer process outlined below.
- Check the Transfer Course Equivalency List (TCEL) to identify pre-approved courses applicable to individual host universities and schools of record. If you have questions about this process, ask a study abroad coordinator.
- For courses that have not been pre-approved, gather detailed course syllabi and/or course descriptions and submit to the appropriate academic department for review.
- Credit values vary from country to country; students transferring credit from a study abroad program should consult this document for institution and country-specific information. If a program or host university is not included on the aforementioned list, please consult a study abroad coordinator.
- Once all courses have been approved and the form has been signed by the student’s academic advisor and financial aid (if applicable), the completed form should be submitted to the Pam Hendrix Center for Education Abroad in E-301 Martin Hall or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is recommended that students have more courses approved than they need to take while abroad in case of cancellations or scheduling conflicts after they arrive at their study abroad site. If a student is not able to enroll in their planned coursework after arriving on-site, they should contact their study abroad coordinator and academic advisor to update their Request for Approval of Courses to be Taken Abroad form.
* Please note, for 3000- and 4000-level courses within the departments of ACCT, BUS, ELE, FIN, LAW, MGT, and MKT, credits will only be accepted from AACSB International and/or EQUIS accredited institutions. Please see the College of Business Office of Career and Global Engagement website for more information.