- Pet Ether (BP 35 - 65 degrees C)
- ANKOM XT15
- Analytical Balance
- Ankom Fat filter bags
- Heat sealer
- Marking pen
- Desiccant Pouch
- If the sample is > 20 % fat, refer to the manual, else continue.
- Label filter bag and weigh into spreadsheet.
- Weigh ~ 1 g of sample into the bag and enter sample weight into spreadsheet (W1).
- Heat seal the bag closed within 4 mm of the top.
- Place samples in the drying oven for 3 hrs at 105 degrees C.
- Cool the dried samples in the Desiccant Pouch, weigh and enter the weight into the spreadsheet (W2).
- Place filter bags with sample into the bag holder and place in the extractor.
- Proceed according to the extraction instrument instructions.
- When the extraction is complete, place the samples in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool in the Pouch and Weigh into spreadsheet (W3).
- %FAT = 100 x (W2 - W3)/W1
- Analyze AAFCO check sample along with each set.