Department Safety Coordinator Guidelines
The Office of Research Safety would like to thank you for your involvement and your continued support. The Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) is an integral part of promoting health and safety throughout all campuses. The DSC’s role is to assist with the implementation of the Research Safety program for their assigned department. All DSCs will receive a monthly email with safety materials, Fact Sheets or safety information to share with their department. In addition each DSC will be assigned a liaison from Research Safety who is available to assist with their responsibilities:
Some of the activities of the DSCs include:
- Attend Quarterly DSC meetings
- Disseminate safety information from Research Safety to personnel in the department, generally monthly.
- Disseminate and communicate safety information from Research Safety that is considered important for communication to all faculty and staff.
- Participate in Laboratory Annual Inspections conducted by Research Safety when available.
- Notify Research Safety of new PIs or researchers in their department.
- Notify Research Safety of PIs that will be leaving the university.
- Provide new employees the information on Research Safety and the links for their training.
- Participate with incident investigations as needed.
- Be a liaison for the people in the department for safety related questions and information.
- Be a positive role model for safety.