International Volunteer, Co-op, or Other Travel

Liang Zhang

If your travel is related to a Clemson University student organization or club, a class or academic credit, for-credit internship or co-op, graduate research, or funding from any party at Clemson University, then you are required to complete one of the registration processes below. If your travel is for-credit, you will pay Clemson’s study abroad fee in addition to any other program charges.

If you are considering travel to a country with a State Department Travel Warning or a CDC Health Notice, and your travel is affiliated with the university through credit, funding, or group affiliation (ex: student organization), your group will need approval from the Clemson University Travel Advisory Committee. Please contact for more details about this process, and refer to our Travel Warnings page.



  • Select the “Apply Now” button on the right of the page.
  • As a Clemson student, you are a “registered Clemson user”. Your login information is the same as for Blackboard.
  • Choose the term of your travel (Fall, Fall Break, Winter, Summer, etc.) Include your exact travel dates and location where requested. If your location is not listed, search for the nearest city.
  • As you complete each section of the registration, it will be “checked off”. Once a section is checked, our office can see that you completed it.
  • Upload proof of signing up with the State Department’s STEP program. Follow the directions in your portal, then upload a screenshot of the trip registration page or of STEP’s confirmation email to you.
  • Students participating university-affiliated travel are required to use Clemson University’s international insurance coverage through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). This insurance policy covers basic medical expenses, medical evacuation, medical reunion, repatriation, and a security evacuation rider. Students can enroll for up to 1 additional month of coverage if planning to extend time abroad. The enrollment must be completed prior to departure and proof of insurance submitted via the Clemson Abroad online application system. Directions to purchase CISI coverage are listed in your registration portal under the “Study Abroad Insurance” section, and also here.

Pre-Departure Information

Pre-departure information is available in your travel registration portal; review before you leave!

Health & Safety

Familiarize yourself with the country information provided by the State Department and the Center for Disease Control. Most immunizations can be obtained at Redfern!