Main Content

Transferring Credits

Clemson offers several different ways students can earn college credit before arriving on campus — including IB and AP credits. We also want to make the process for transferring into this University as seamless as possible.

The evaluation of academic credits from other institutions is processed through the Office of Admissions. Final approval for use of these credits in your degree program is determined by your major adviser at transfer orientation.

Transferring Credit Hours

Only credits transfer, not grades. Therefore, you will enter Clemson without a grade point ratio. Your class standing will be determined by your hours transferred.

  • Freshman: 0 to 29
  • Sophomore: 30 to 59
  • Junior: 60 to 89
  • Senior: 90 and above

Generally, transfer credits are applicable toward degree requirements if the courses taken are:

  • earned at a school accredited by a regional accreditation association, such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;
  • similar in description to the corresponding course at Clemson;
  • required or permitted as an elective in a student’s curriculum;
  • graded at least one letter grade above minimum passing mark, usually a C or better; and
  • not a duplication of credits already earned.

Note: No course taken at a nonbaccalaureate degree institution may be used as an equivalent or substitute for any 3000- or 4000-level Clemson course.

If you have specific questions regarding your major at Clemson, you may communicate with a faculty adviser by choosing the adviser contact by major.

Credit by Examination

Learning experiences including, but not limited to, military service schools, noncollegiate sponsored instruction, work-related experiences, etc., will not be evaluated for transfer; however, enrolled students can request credit by examination from the appropriate department for any nontransferable learning experience.

Once You're Accepted — Viewing Transfer Credits

Accepted students with transferring credits from another institution, AP/IB credit and dual-enrollment credit will be able to view transfer credits through the iROAR Web portal. In order to access the transfer credit summary, you will need your Clemson University ID and password. You may want to print a copy of your transfer credit summary for your records.

It is recommended to bring a copy of the transfer credit summary when attending orientation at Clemson. If you are still enrolled in classes, your current courses will be added when we receive your official transcript. The Office of Admissions must receive final transcripts from each college you have attended before enrollment at Clemson.

If you have received a “Satisfactory” or “Passing” grade for prior course work, you will need to have an official statement from the registrar’s office of the institution you attended stating that the “S” or “P” grade is equivalent to a C or better in order to receive credit for the course work. Clemson accepts courses for transfer only if earned with a grade of C or better.

To receive credit for any course from which you might have exempted at another college, you will need to complete an “Exemption/Waiver” form with the Office of Admissions.

Advanced Placement Credits (AP)

Clemson University strongly endorses the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Program and consistently ranks among the top colleges and universities in the nation in the number of students reporting AP grades. Students who have participated in AP are attracted by, and in turn contribute to, the superior academic environment at Clemson. Clemson University credit is awarded for grades of 3, 4 or 5 on AP examinations.

Procedure for Receiving Credit Through the AP Program

If you enroll in AP courses through your high school, you’ll have the opportunity to take a national examination in the appropriate subject area at the end of the school year in May.

When registering for the exam, indicate if you wish to have the final results sent to Clemson University (CEEB #5111). Exams are graded on a 1 to 5 scale. If you achieve a grade of 3 or higher, you’ll receive the appropriate course credit. After Clemson receives your official scores, credits earned will be posted on your record at the start of your first semester at Clemson.

Use our Credits Awarded Chart (PDF) to see how many credit hours your AP class will garner here at Clemson and what grade it will take to get the credit. Be sure to include your Social Security number when registering for AP exams. This will save time and ensure that credit is automatically awarded to your Clemson academic record.

International Baccalaureate Credits (IB)

Clemson recognizes the academic challenge inherent in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and awards credit for IB Higher Level scores in several subjects. IB graduates who score well on their higher-level exams will be awarded college credit as outlined in the chart below. Please be sure to include your IB candidate number in the space provided on the Clemson application.

Transferring from Another Institution

Use the TCEL (Transfer Course Equivalency List) to search for course equivalencies from our database. The TCEL contains Clemson University course equivalencies for approximately 1,200 accredited colleges and universities nationwide. Please be advised the TCEL is only a history of how courses have transferred to Clemson, and does not represent a comprehensive list of transferable course work for any school.

If there is a course you have previously taken that is not showing up on the TCEL, the course will have to be evaluated once you apply and are accepted to Clemson. Please follow the curriculum outline in Clemson’s Undergraduate Catalog for the degree that you plan to pursue and take the equivalent courses. Course equivalencies are subject to change.

Taking Credits at a South Carolina Technical College

Our Advanced Standing guide provides you with a list of university transfer courses that may be taken at any of the South Carolina technical colleges. Please follow the curriculum outline in Clemson’s Undergraduate Catalog for the degree program that you plan to pursue at Clemson University, and take the equivalent courses as listed in the back of the Advanced Standing Guide.

Students who are unsure to which South Carolina college or university they would like to transfer after their initial course work at a South Carolina technical college should also consult the Advanced Standing Guide. Depending on the student’s chosen major, some courses may not be applicable toward graduation requirements. Contact the Office of Admissions for information.

College Board College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

This program has very limited recognition at Clemson. A few departments accept credit for CLEP subject-matter examinations; however, CLEP General Examinations are not recognized. Credit can be awarded for introductory-level courses according to criteria established by the following departments: Chemistry and English (composition only). Numerical scores plus essays, required when offered as part of a CLEP examination, will be evaluated by the appropriate department. The awarding of credit is at the discretion of the department. CLEP is designed primarily for adults with nontraditional learning experiences. CLEP credit cannot be used to meet admissions requirements.