New Farmer Resources
Additional Educational Opportunities Available to New, Beginning, & Aspiring Farmers
WORKSHOPS & TRAININGS
- SCNBFP Regional Workshops – SCNBFP regional workshops are available to the public at a nominal fee per workshop. Visit the SC New & Beginning Farmer Program website for an ongoing schedule.
- SARE Programming – Hosted by the Clemson Sustainable Agriculture Program and partners, statewide, throughout the year. Visit the website to view programming schedule and sign up for the mailing list.
- Clemson University Cooperative Extension – Contact each County Extension office in your area and ask to be placed on their mailing list for workshops and trainings.
- South Carolina State University 1890 Extension Program – Contact your closest 1890 Extension office for more information on workshops and trainings.
- Soil & Water Conservation Districts – Like Extension services, each county has its own Soil & Water Conservation District office. Many of these host workshops of interest to farmers. Use this directory to contact your local office and asked to be placed on their mailing list.
- Clemson Extension Master Gardener Program – If you have an interest in horticulture and helping educate others, Clemson’s Master Gardener Program provides 40+ hours of training, including vegetable and tree/small fruit production. Available in more than two dozen SC counties, as well as online.
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association Annual Sustainable Agriculture Conference – Hosted each fall, usually in NC.
- ASAP’s Business of Farming Conference
- Southern SAWG Annual Conference – Held in different southeast location every year.
- Georgia Organics Conference & Expo
- Annie’s Project SC – Annual agribusiness retreat for women farmers.
MEMBERSHIP ORGANIZATIONS – NETWORKING, RESOURCES & EDUCATION
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association – Serves North & South Carolina.
- Catawba Farm & Food Coalition – Serving the Catawba region of SC.
- Lowcountry Local First – Serves the SC Lowcountry region.
- Midlands Local Food Collaborative – Serves the Midlands region of SC.
- South Carolina Farm Bureau – Serving the state of SC with offices in all 46 counties.
- South Carolina Women’s Agriculture Network – Serving women farmers in SC.
- South Carolina Agritourism Association – Serving agritourism providers throughout SC.
Note: There are also many associations related to particular areas of production, operating in SC. For example, the SC Beekeepers Association; SC Cattlemen’s Association; SC Specialty Crop Growers Association; etc.