Business Licensing

Pesticide Business License:  Do I need a pesticide business license and how do I obtain one?

A Pesticide Business License is required for anyone wishing to open a business that will perform any activity in

Category 7A - Industrial, Institutional, Structural, and Health-Related Pest Control.

You must have a Designated Certified Applicator (DCA) in place before you can be issued a business license.  The DCA must be licensed by the Department of Pesticide Regulation in Category 7A.  He or she must be permanently assigned to that specific location on a full time basis while the business is open and operating.  No individual may be the DCA for more than one location.

To qualify as a DCA, you must have either:

  • Four-year college degree in the natural sciences or
  • Have at least two years of verifiable experience in pest control

If your Business License has been revoked or was suspended in the past, you cannot circumvent the suspension or revocation by applying for a “new” Business License.

Business Licenses are valid from Jan 1st to December 31st and must be renewed each year.  Violations of the South Carolina Pesticide Control Act may result in fines.  If there are repeated or serious violations, your Business License may be subject to suspension or revocation.

To apply for a Pesticide Business License, you will need to complete and return the following items:

  1. A current Commercial License (or be applying for a commercial license– see Commercial Licensing page
    • If not currently licensed, you will need either:
      • Commercial Application - if you took and passed SC exams 0R
      • Reciprocal Application, Affidavit, and a copy of current pesticide license from state you are reciprocating from
  2. Pesticide Business License Application
  3. DCA Verifiable Experience form
  4. Evidence of Financial Responsibility Form
  5. Licensing fee – the business license fee is $150, the DCA license fee is $50.  One check can be submitted for the total amount of $200 or pay online.

How do I change the DCA?

To change the DCA of a business, the applicator must meet the DCA qualifications (above) and will need to submit the DCA Verifiable Experience form and $50 fee to the Department of Pesticide Regulation at 511 Westinghouse Rd. Pendleton, SC 29670. You may also pay $50 fee online.

How do I add/remove Registered Technicians to my business?

ALL Registered Technician training is handled through the South Carolina Pest Control Association.  To register for the online verifiable technician training, order Reg Tech training/study material, or have questions concerning replacement Reg Tech ID cards and/or fees, you will need to contact or call (803) 766-6161.  

Once the registered technician online training is completed, the online testing center forwards the technicians’ information and testing status to DPR.  We then import this new technician information into our database and connect them to the business license as a Reg Tech employee of the business.  To remove a Registered Technician from your business, please email us at

For business and/or commercial licensing questions not found on this website, please email