Clemson University's Department of Plant Industry:
- Inspects honey bees and fixtures to be moved from South Carolina into other states and countries, and issues certificates of inspection verifying apparent freedom from contagious and infectious diseases.
- Monitors honey bees and fixtures shipped or moved into South Carolina from other states and countries to assure that they have been inspected and are accompanied by a certificate of inspection issued by a plant or apiary official from the state, county or country from which the bees originated.
- Investigates incidences of suspected pests of regulatory concern affecting honey bees, and initiate regulatory action if indicated.
- Participates in USDA honey bee surveys on a regular basis.
- Provides regulatory expertise and support to the SCBA, local chapters, and individual members.