International Students

Internationals at Clemson University, Clemson South Carolina

Hello International Students!

While most traditional forms of financial aid are only available to United States residents and eligible non-citizens, there are some aid types or benefits for which international students and/or ineligible non-citizens may qualify.

Should you need a loan to assist with paying your bill, some private lenders make loans to students who have a US citizen as a co-signer. However, please remember that applying for a private loan does not guarantee that the lender will approve the loan.

If you are (or will be) a graduate student, we suggest you contact the Graduate School for more information regarding graduate fellowships and assistantships.

Students who are living in the US under certain Visa types may be eligible to receive South Carolina in-state tuition rates. To check to see if your VISA classification may qualify, please visit the following website:

Graduate and undergraduate students alike may also contact the Office of Global Engagement for information related to foreign student enrollment. International students who are receiving tuition support from an outside organization should make sure that a copy of your tuition support letter is provided to the Office of Student Financial Services well in advance of the beginning of classes.

Below is the definition that Clemson University uses to determine if a student is a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen:

Citizen/Eligible Non-citizen

You must be one of the following to receive U. S. federal aid:

  • U. S. citizen
  • U. S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U. S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you are not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U. S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Other eligible non-citizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-68)

Or you can be eligible based on the Family Unity Status category with an approved I-797 (Voluntary Departure and Immigration Petition).

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible.

If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you are not eligible. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible.

Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and Palau are generally eligible.