Skip to content

Student Financial Aid

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

Students enrolled in graduate programs can apply for Federal Graduate PLUS Loans. Financial need is not necessary, but the FAFSA is required.

The Grad PLUS Program is designed to help graduate or professional students pay the cost of their education expenses. This loan fills the gap between the cost of education and the funding received through Federal Direct Loans and other financial aid, including graduate assistantship waivers and fellowships.

Eligibility for a Graduate PLUS loan is based on a student's creditworthiness and not on financial need. Students with insufficient credit can apply with an endorser. You can begin repaying the Graduate PLUS loan either 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed or wait until six months after you cease to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

For funds to be available for payment purposes, applications should be submitted by:

  • June 30 for the Fall semester.
  • November 1 for the Spring semester.
  • April 1 for Summer Sessions.

How to Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan

  1. Submit the   FAFSA.

  2. Complete the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan application for the appropriate academic year on

  3. If this is your first Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, complete a PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note for Graduate Students at

  4. If this is your first Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, complete Entrance Loan Counseling at

  5. You should fully utilize all Direct Loan eligibility before borrowing through the Graduate PLUS Loan program.

Loan Amount 

You may borrow up to the annual cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you are receiving for the year. 

Eligibility Requirements 

  • The student must be enrolled at least half-time (5 hours or more).
  • The student must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Clemson University Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

  • The borrower must not have defaulted on or owe a refund to any previous student aid program.
  • The borrower must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident.
  • The borrower must be a graduate student.