Skip to content

Clemson University Graduate School

Before Classes Begin

Newly Accepted Students

Before taking care of items on this page, make sure you’ve completed the steps for enrollment first. 

Pre-Enrollment Checklist

Register for Classes

First, check with your program, as some programs advise their new students to refrain from registering until after arriving on campus. 

Once you’re ready to register for classes:

  1. Access the iROAR portal with your Clemson username and password and Duo two-factor authentication.
  2. Click Student Self-Service.
  3. Under Student Registration, click on Add/Drop Classes and proceed with your registration.

Tiger Training offers an online Register for Classes module (login required) that will walk you through the steps. Contact your departmental program coordinator for questions about your registration.

Student Immunization Form (Complete by July 1/December 1)

All new or transfer students are required to complete the Student Immunization Form (PDF) and provide written proof of required immunizations by July 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester. See the official Immunization Policy.

Exception: If you are enrolled only in online courses, you do not need to comply with medical clearance requirements.

Health Insurance Requirement

Graduate students enrolled in 9 or more credit hours in on-campus programs, all graduate assistants and international students (F-1, F-2, J-1, and J-2 visas) will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. If you already have health insurance coverage, complete the online Health Insurance Waiver form by the deadline indicated on the waiver webpage


All students, even those on an assistantship, are responsible for paying student fees. After registering for courses, visit the Student Financial Services Office to see payment deadlines and pay your tuition and fees.

All of your bills are available in the iROAR database:

  1. Log in with your user ID and password.
  2. Click the Student Billing tab.
  3. Click My Bill or Optional Fees.

The online bill provides all of your current registration and billing information. Your bill is real-time, so you can make sure all fees are satisfied before the payment deadlines.

Government-Sponsored Students

If you are a government-sponsored student, you are responsible for submitting a copy of your official Financial Guarantee or Financial Support Letter via email prior to the payment deadline. After you submit your official support letter, monitor your student account through iROAR and make payment on any non-covered fees prior to the published deadlines.

Late Fees

For due dates and late fees, please visit Student Financial Services.

Verify Your Legal Presence

South Carolina law requires all state institutions of higher education to verify legal presence in the U.S. All students will be asked to provide documentation to confirm their current legal presence. To ensure that a student may enroll and attend classes, they must provide documentation as described below. Documentation must be uploaded electronically through the Legal Presence Documentation Portal.

U.S. Citizens

The following documents will be accepted as proof of your U.S. citizenship:

  • A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid to Clemson), if not yet submitted (our code number is 003425).
  • Valid Driver's License or Identification Card issued from any of the following states: South Carolina, Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine (issued after 11/15/08), Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
  • A current U.S. passport. 
  • An original U.S. or U.S. Territory birth certificate (not a hospital certificate).
  • A Certificate of Naturalization.
  • U.S. government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Certificate of Citizenship. 

You will have 30 days after the start of classes to declare your legal presence without penalty.

Non-U.S. Citizens

You must complete immigration documentation with the Office of Global Engagement within 30 days of the first day of classes in the fall semester. Legal presence for non-U.S. citizens will be verified as follows:

  • U.S. Permanent Residents — Permanent Residency status will be verified through the SAVE system.
  • J-1 and F-1 Student Visa holders — Legal presence in the U.S will be verified through the SEVIS system. 
  • All other non-U.S. citizens — Legal presence in the U.S. will be verified through the SAVE system.

If the Office of Global Engagement cannot obtain verification within 30 days following the first day of class of the student’s initial semester of attendance, the student may be given 30 days to provide additional information that the University can submit for verification with the federal government.

Your TigerOne ID

TigerOne ID is the official Clemson University ID for students, employees and affiliates. As its name implies, the TigerOne ID is your all-in-one source for campus identification, access, purchasing and more! 

Visit TigerOne ID Services and choose “Get Your TigerOne ID.”

Estimated Cost of Living

The Student Financial Aid Office has posted an Estimated Cost of Attendance table that shows standard figures for budgeting purposes and eligibility for need-based financial aid.


University housing is typically not available to graduate students. See University Off-Campus Housing for information on roommates, subletting, rentals and purchasing property in the area. A housing rental guide for the city of Clemson and surrounding areas is also available on the City of Clemson's website or through Tiger Properties.

Graduate Assistant Employee Onboarding

If you have been offered a Graduate Assistantship, the steps below serve as a basic guideline for getting on board. This is not an exhaustive list, and does not supersede your department’s guidelines. Always check with the department that is offering you the position to find out what your next steps will be.

  1. If you intend to accept: Contact the department when you are ready to accept the offer. Vacant positions fill quickly.
  2. Review and sign contract: Understand the contract/offer letter. Understand the job responsibilities and the department’s expectations. Return signed contract to your hiring department by the due date.
  3. Paperwork: International students must possess a U.S. Social Security card before beginning job duties. Your hiring department will assist you with the process.
  4. Orientation/Training: Get information from your hiring pertaining to any training sessions being offered.
  5. Human Resources: Your hiring department will navigate the process of getting you hired and added to payroll.

Transit Access, Vehicle Registration, Parking Permits, Shuttle Services, Directions

Transit Access: The easiest way to get around campus and the surrounding areas is by riding the Clemson Area Transit bus (CATbus). Always free of charge, the CATbus has several on-campus routes to help you get to your destination, as well as routes through the city of Clemson and to the nearby cities of Anderson, Pendleton, Seneca and Central. For more information, call 864-656-4789.

Tiger Commute: The Clemson–Greenville Connection. This offers a weekday commuter service to connect the main campus with Clemson’s instructional and research sites in Greenville and other Greenlink stops. For more information and to view the schedule, visit the Tiger Commute web page. You can also access information about airport shuttle service, nighttime transportation, holiday bus schedules, Zipcar and bikeshare programs and more. 

Parking Permits: Parking on campus is restricted to permit or metered parking. You may purchase a parking permit (optional; price varies) for your residential area or for a campus commuter lot prior to or after your arrival. 

Shuttle Services: To arrange transportation to or from Greenville–Spartanburg airport or Charlotte–Douglas International airport, visit this Airport Shuttles page.

Purchase a Meal Plan (Optional)

Review the meal plan options offered by Clemson University Dining Services and enroll in a meal plan. The Dining Services web page hosts information about the wide variety of food-service options around campus.