- What if an individual works on my grant for less than 12 months? Do they need to complete the basic RCR training?
Yes. All covered individuals must complete basic RCR training.
- Does this plan need to be included with my proposal?
For USDA and NSF, no. The institutional RCR plan is part of the institutional assurance and does not need to be included in the text of your proposal. However, a mentoring plan (NSF - section 7008) is required if you request support for a postdoc.
For NIH, yes. See NIH guidance for more information. A template has been developed to assist you in drafting this part of your proposal.
- Is this the same training required for IACUC, IRB or IBC applications?
No. While animal welfare and human subjects protections are RCR topics, the online IRB and IACUC training modules do not meet the requirement for discussion-based contact hours.
- Can training sessions/courses taken last year be applied to these requirements?
This decision will be left to the discretion of the PI. If the PI believes the session is recent enough and relevant enough to meet the requirement, they should simply document it on the RCR training documentation form. CU will not define a training expiration period at this time. Again, this will be a decision left to the discretion of the PI.
- Are my summer REU students required to complete the RCR training?
Based on the most recent REU information, NSF considers these students "supported" by NSF to conduct research. Therefore, they must complete the relevant phase(s) of the training program.
- Institutional Review Board
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Research Misconduct