Skip to content

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Admissions FAQs

Graduate research assistantships are available to qualified Ph.D. applicants. All full-time Ph.D. students in chemical engineering receive financial assistance to defray living expenses. Tuition also is covered. Ph.D. students with graduate research assistantships work on funded research projects related to their dissertation.

Assistantships offered to new students are set at competitive rates each year and are paid bi-monthly on a 12-month basis. Offers of financial aid for each new academic year start by the end of February, and offers are made as long as funds are available. Apply by January 15 to ensure full consideration in the awards process.

Presently, students admitted to the M.S. program do not receive financial aid.

  • What is the application deadline?

    Applications are considered on a rolling basis, so we technically have no deadline. We do encourage applicants to submit applications before our January 15 Priority Deadline. Applications received after January 15 are considered based on availability.

  • What are the minimum GRE, GPA, TOEFL scores needed?

    Our department no longer requires the GRE as a part of our application.

  • Will I receive financial aid?

    Presently, all students admitted into the Ph.D. program receive financial support that includes a stipend, tuition remission, and health insurance. The stipend in FY 2018-2019 was $26,000.

    Additional scholarships and fellowships are offered to outstanding applicants before enrolling in the Ph.D. program. The graduate studies committee identifies and nominates these applicants to the Department, College, and Graduate School for competitive enhancements, typically between $2,000-5,000 per year in addition to the general stipend.

    U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents that are accepted may apply for a Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) fellowship. The GAANN Fellowship is a prestigious award that prepares Ph.D. students to become leaders in education and research in the broad area of Molecular Engineering in Sustainability and Health. GAANN Fellows participate in a supervised teaching experience and receive a stipend of up to $34,000 per year. Visit our GAANN Fellows webpage for more information or to apply.

  • Is health insurance provided?

    Health insurance is required for all full-time, on-campus graduate students. Full-time Ph.D. students will be offered the benefit of employer-provided health insurance. Students covered on another plan can opt out.

Graduate Program

Information on Biomolecular and Chemical Engineering Courses for Clemson University Graduate Program can be found in the Graduate Student Course Catalog. For answers to commonly asked questions, please view the Graduate FAQ page.

To apply for Clemson’s graduate programs in chemical and biomolecular engineering, you must submit an application, at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members or work supervisors, and unofficial transcripts of all college work. Admissions into the Graduate Program in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering is handled through the Clemson University Graduate School.