Satisfactory Academic Progress FAQ

General Questions

  • 1. How do I determine my SAP status and in what requirement(s) I am deficient?

    Your Satisfactory Academic Progress status, as well as requirements and your GPA, pacing percentage, and attempted credit hours (for maximum timeframe) are listed on your iRoar account. Select the “Financial Aid” tab, then click on “iROAR (My Financial Aid).” From the main Financial Aid menu, select “Eligibility,” and then click on the “Academic Progress” tab.

  • 2. My SAP status is listed as “Warning.” What does this mean?

    In the first semester in which you do not meet SAP standards, you are assigned the status of “warning." During your “warning” semester, you are fully eligible for federal financial aid for that semester only. If you are not meeting SAP standards at the end of this semester, you would not be eligible for federal financial aid for future semesters unless you appeal and your appeal is granted.

  • 3. My GPA is meeting the requirements. Why am I listed as unsatisfactory?

    If you have recently used academic forgiveness, see question #4.

    Other than academic forgiveness, there are several reasons you might be unsatisfactory. You may be meeting the GPA requirement but be deficient in the pace of completion or maximum timeframe requirement. The “Academic Progress” section in your iRoar account can help you to determine this (see question #1 for instructions on how to access this section).

    Your professor may have resolved an incomplete or changed your grade since Satisfactory Academic Progress was calculated at the end of your last semester attended. In this case, please e-mail for review.

    If none of these situations seems to apply, send an e-mail to, and your account will be reviewed.

  • 4. I used academic forgiveness to bring my GPA over 2.0. Am I now meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements?

    Unfortunately, due to federal guidelines, we cannot consider academic forgiveness for Satisfactory Academic progress. If you were not meeting requirements before academic forgiveness, you will still need to appeal using the appeal form and instructions.

    Keep in mind, when forgiving a D grade, that this can hurt your pace of completion for SAP purposes. Generally, if you are not meeting SAP requirements or are close to not meeting SAP requirements, we recommend that you contact us at before using academic forgiveness. We can help you determine if academic forgiveness could hurt your federal aid eligibility in the future.

  • 5. If I am not meeting the GPA or pace of completion requirement, how do I make a plan for improvement?

    Use the “Resources for SAP students” (Undergraduate and Graduate) to determine what on- and off-campus resources might be helpful in your situation; contact these resources directly. We encourage you to use as many resources as possible, as we want to see you succeed in the future.

    We also encourage you to use the Undergraduate SAP Calculator or the Graduate SAP Calculator to determine how many credit hours/terms are needed and what GPA average you must maintain to meet the requirements in which you are currently deficient.

    If you have any questions about the SAP calculators or want to discuss your plan for improvement with a Financial Aid Counselor, e-mail to make an appointment.

  • 6. Can I make up credit hours by taking classes elsewhere?

    Credit hours earned as transfer credits will be added to your Credit Hours Attempted and your Credit Hours Completed. Successfully completing hours elsewhere will improve your Pace of Completion, but classes taken elsewhere do not make up for GPA deficiencies. Keep in mind that you cannot use financial aid through Clemson for coursework taken at another school.

    However, if you take classes elsewhere and show significant improvement, this can be considered by the committee as part of an appeal.

  • 7. If I am not maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress, can I appeal?

    Yes, you can appeal using the appeal form and instructions.

    To be considered, your appeal must explain why you failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed that will allow you to meet satisfactory academic progress standards at the next evaluation. Appeals can be filed based on academic improvement, death of a family member/close friend, injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances. However, appeals are not automatically approved for any of these reasons. Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis; your documented extenuating circumstances, your academic record, and your plan for improvement are all considered.

  • 8. I submitted an appeal for Satisfactory Academic Progress. What timing should I expect for a response?

    The appeals committee reviews appeals as quickly as possible in the order that they are received. During peak processing times, appeals can take 3-4 weeks to process.