Skip to content

Student Financial Aid

How Aid Works 

Three female students work on an engineering project at a table together

Financial aid is as personal and unique as your Clemson Journey. From determining your residency to preparing for a semester abroad, deferring scholarships while on co-op and navigating veterans benefits, find resources to take your next step.

Financial Aid Timeline

First-Year Student Timeline
Month Task


Apply for admission and make note of deposit deadlines for housing, financial aid, Orientation, etc.


Search local scholarships with high school, parents' employers, places of worship and community sources.


Check with your high school to apply for Palmetto Fellows if a South Carolina resident.


Begin filing your 2024-2025 FAFSA


Students who want to be considered for scholarships must apply for admission and complete their application file by January 3.


Submit your FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1. 


Accept your financial aid via the iROAR portal when notified.


Commit to Clemson University by May 1.


Complete entrance loan counseling and sign Master Promissory Note at if you are a first-year student with federal loans.


Determine remaining out-of-pocket expenses and apply for a Federal Parent PLUS loan or private loan if needed.

All Undergraduate Student Timeline
Month Task


Start and maintain a sound system of record keeping.


Satisfy University fees by paying the balance on the iROAR portal.


If you have a state scholarship and seek to regain a scholarship for an upcoming year, submit the Request for Academic Forgiveness form on the iROAR portal before the first day of Fall semester classes.


Ensure you meet the credit hour enrollment requirement for each of your financial aid awards as of midnight on the last day to drop classes without a W based on the academic calendar. Withdrawing from a class later may impact your Federal Pell Grant.


Complete free online scholarship searches.


Complete and submit the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool with appropriate year's tax information.


Monitor credit hours and grades needed for scholarship renewal(s).


Plan for Summer Session if needed.


Continuing students must complete the FAFSA before the April 1 deadline.


Respond promptly to all email requests from the financial aid office (verification forms, copies of IRS Tax Return Transcripts, etc.)


Continuing students and transfer students must accept their financial aid via the iROAR portal when notified.


Determine remaining out-of-pocket expenses and apply for a Federal Parent PLUS loan or private loan if needed.


Students with Federal Work-Study should obtain a Federal Work-Study job (if awarded) through the secure website when notified.

Scholarship and Grant Deadlines
Programs Date Task
Clemson Scholarships


Apply for admission and submit required materials to Clemson University.


Submit FAFSA to be considered for need-based scholarships.

Federal Supplemental Educational
Opportunity Grant


FAFSA priority deadline for first-year students.


FAFSA priority deadline for continuing and transfer students.

Federal Work Study


FAFSA priority deadline for first-year students.


FAFSA priority deadline for continuing and transfer students.

Early July

Students will be notified to create a profile and apply for jobs.

South Carolina Need-Based Grant


FAFSA priority deadline for first-year students.


FAFSA priority deadline for continuing and transfer students.

Federal Pell Grant


Recommended deadline for submitting the FAFSA.

Loan Deadlines
Program Date Task

Federal Student Loans


Recommended deadline for submitting the FAFSA.

PLUS Loans


Recommended deadline for submitting the FAFSA.


Loan application submission deadline.

Private Loans


Loan application submission deadline.

SC Teacher Loans


Priority deadline. Application becomes available February 1, and funding is limited so it's best to apply early.

Financial Aid Resources 

Special Student Considerations

  • Co-ops and Internships

    Financial Aid Considerations 

    Students are not eligible for financial aid during co-op assignments unless they are simultaneously enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at Clemson University. 

    Co-op students with academic recruiting scholarships or South Carolina state scholarships who maintain eligibility may request that their scholarships be deferred for their co-op semesters. Students are eligible to receive only two stipends per award year and should communicate their work assignments with the Office of Student Financial Aid to receive their deferred stipends, not to exceed eight semesters.  

    However, they may request to receive the stipend during Summer if enrolled full time (12 hours) depending on co-op schedules.  

    Required Financial Aid Communications 

    As you prepare for your co-op or internship, you will need to notify our office to put your financial aid on hold for your co-op/internship semester(s) by sending us a comment through iROAR on the Accept Award Offer tab under the Financial Aid Award section.  

    You will also need to enroll in the specific co-op/internship class so that you continue as a Clemson student during your time working. While you will not be expected to complete courses during your co-op term, you will need to meet the co-op specific credit hour and GPA requirements to renew your financial aid.  

    Once you complete your co-op/internship, contact our office to reinstate aid or apply for aid to be used for a Summer term. 

    Co-op/Internship Assistance 

    Questions regarding your co-op/internship: Cooperative Education Program 

    Questions regarding deferred financial aid and stipends: Student Financial Aid 
  • Graduate Students 

    Most graduate student financial aid is awarded by departments, fellowships and assistantships, but the Office of Student Financial Aid does support graduate financial aid with specialized offerings.  

    See Graduate Student Aid

    Visit the Graduate School 

  • Study Abroad 

    Every Clemson student is encouraged to pursue cross-cultural experiences, and we support cross-cultural learning by helping students prepare financial aid for semesters abroad.  

    See Study Abroad Financial Aid Information

  • Veteran and Military Aid 

    Clemson was founded as a military institution, and we remain committed to educating and supporting veterans and military service members. Financial aid for members of the military and veterans is unique, so we have specific instructions to guide your journey.  

    Veteran and Military Aid Resources

    VA Benefits 

    Military Residency Requirements

    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs  

  • Senior Citizens 

    South Carolina residents who are at least 60 years of age may qualify for free tuition. Fill out the form below after registering for classes to apply. Send us an email at or call us at 864-656-2280 with any questions.  

    Free Tuition Application for Senior Citizens  

    This benefit is not an entitlement, and departments and programs may choose not to participate.

    Non-participating Programs 

    • Ph.D. Business Administration – Executive Leadership 
    • Study Abroad-Related Programs 
    • Center for Corporate Learning  

    This list may not include all nonparticipating programs and may change without notice.  

    In addition to some programs and majors not participating, credit hours for participating programs may be capped.  

  • Tuition Waivers for Special Populations

    The Veterans Administration (VA) provides educational assistance to veterans, war orphans and children of deceased or disabled law enforcement officers or firefighters.  

    See VA educational benefits for special populations.

  • Academic Common Market 

    The Academic Common Market (ACM) is a program that allows out-of-state graduate and undergraduate students to pay in-state resident fees in specialized fields.  

    View ACM details

  • Course Program of Study (CPoS)

    United States Department of Education regulations require that students receiving federal student aid (i.e.: Pell Grant, Direct Loans and Work Study) be enrolled in courses that are applicable toward their degree. See CPoS details to ensure you meet this federal regulation and receive your full financial aid package.

    CPoS Overview

    CPoS Student Information

    CPoS Adviser, Faculty and Staff Information

  • Participation Confirmation

    United States Department of Education regulations require that students receiving federal student aid are attending the classes for which they have registered. For a student to retain their financial aid, each of the student’s instructors must verify that the student has attended class at least once before the last day to withdraw without a W. Instructors are not required to take daily attendance.

    See Participation Confirmation details

International Students 

While most traditional forms of financial aid are only available to United States residents and eligible noncitizens, there are some aid types available for international students and ineligible noncitizens.  

Graduate and undergraduate students can contact the Office of Global Engagement  for information related to foreign student enrollment. International students receiving tuition support from an outside organization must provide a copy of their tuition support letter to the Office of Student Financial Services well before classes begin.  

  • International Student Loans

    Some private lenders make loans to students who have a U.S. citizen as a cosigner. However, please remember that applying for a private loan does not guarantee the lender will approve the loan.  

  • VISA Classifications Granting In-State Tuition

    Students living in the U.S. with certain VISA types may be eligible to receive South Carolina in-state tuition rates. Visit the VISA Classification (PDF) to see if your VISA qualifies.  

  • Citizen/Eligible Noncitizen Definition

    You must be one of the following to receive U.S. federal aid: 

    • U.S. citizen.
    • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island).
    • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card).

    If you are not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations to be eligible: 

    • "Refugee.”
    • "Asylum Granted.”
    • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole."
    • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending."
    • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).
    • Other eligible noncitizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-68).

    Alternatively, you can be eligible based on the Family Unity Status category with an approved I-797 (Voluntary Departure and Immigration Petition). 

    If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible. 

    If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you are not eligible. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. 

    Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and Palau are generally eligible.