Palmetto Fellows FAQ

Below are frequently asked questions regarding the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Initial Eligibility

  • Do I have to apply for the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship?

    Yes. A student must apply for Palmetto Fellows through the SC Commission on Higher Education (CHE) through their high school guidance office. CHE will begin accepting applications on May 1 during the student's junior year of high school. Specific information about the application process can be found on CHE's website: Commission on Higher Education. Also, detailed criteria that a high school student must meet in order to qualify are provided.

Study Abroad and Co-op

Financial Aid

  • Can the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship be used to pay for my apartment?

    The scholarship is applied as general credit toward the student's University account. On the first day of classes, if all other tuition and fees are satisfied and the student is enrolled full time, excess financial aid is refunded to the student. These funds can include the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship, and the refund can be used for any college-related expenses, including off-campus housing.

  • If I drop a class, will I lose my Palmetto Fellows Scholarship?

    The Financial Aid Office is required to verify that all scholarship recipients are enrolled full time (12 credit hours minimum) on the Last day to drop a class or withdraw from the University without a W grade each semester, including summer. The Palmetto Fellows might be affected by a course withdrawal depending on when the course is dropped. Palmetto Fellows recipients should also be aware of renewal criteria for the upcoming academic year when deciding whether to drop a class. Students are advised to contact the Financial Aid Office prior to dropping below 12 credit hours during the semester.

Continuing Eligibility