Youth Dairy Heifer Cattle Program
About the Project
Any 4-H or FFA member, age 9-17, can raise and show a registered dairy heifer in the South Carolina Dairy Heifer Project. This project began in 1974 and was designed to provide boys and girls who have non-dairy backgrounds an opportunity to raise a dairy heifer and experience the dairy industry. Project members learn how to care for, manage, train, and show their animal while exploring the world of dairy cattle for 18 months. At the conclusion of the project all the heifers are sold at the South Carolina Dairy Bred Heifer Sale before they begin milking. For more information read the Project Handbook.
Read about all the generous dairymen and sponsors that support this project on our Sponsors page!
Join the project by completing the following:
Dairy Heifer Project Handbook (PDF 0.7MB)
Dairy Heifer Project Application (PDF 0.6MB)
Dairy Heifer Project Agreement (PDF 0.2MB)
Animal Caretaker Promise (PDF 0.1MB)
**Deadline to apply for this year's Dairy Heifer Project is February 15, 2019!**
- Heifer Project Kick-off will be on Friday, April 12, 2019 at the T. Ed Garrison Arena, Clemson SC. Registration will begin at 4:30 p.m., a short program about the Heifer Project will be held at 5:00 p.m. and the actual drawing will begin at approximately 6:00 p.m.
- Please complete the agreement forms and bring them to the registration table at the Heifer Project Kick-off along with payment. Payment must be made the day of the Kick-off.
- You must be prepared to pay the total cost of the calf. The cost is $700. Checks should be made payable to "Clemson University."
Current Project Members
Below are forms, records, documents, and information for those currently participating in the South Carolina Dairy Heifer Project. Age division is based on age of project member on January 1st of the year project heifer was received.
All Project Member Information
Blank Monthly Record Sheet
Record books can be complete by any South Carolina 4-H member. Youth do not have be participate in the Dairy Heifer Project to compete in the SC 4-H Record Book Contest.
Want to help?
These projects require amazing and generous people to keep going. If you would like to help here are a few ways you can do so:
- Contribute funds to the youth dairy program to help fund dairy activities.
- Provide registered dairy heifers to the Heifer Project.
- Attend and/or purchase a bred heifer from the Dairy Bred Heifer Sale at the SC State Fair.
- Provide or sponsor printing services for the Bred Heifer Sale catalog to help offset costs for the project.
- Provide dairy related items to be given to youth as awards or educational materials.
- Sponsor awards or supplies for the state Dairy 4-H/FFA Contests.
- If you have other ideas on ways you can help don't hesitate to contact us!
- Meet the Team
- State 4-H Calendar
- Event Registration
- 4-H Volunteers
- 4-H Alumni & Supporters
- Employee Resources
- About South Carolina 4-H
- Project Areas
- Pinckney Leadership
- Giving to 4-H