The Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium is a partnership between communities (MS4s), universities, agencies and non-profits working together to implement a regional, watershed-scale stormwater runoff education strategy in the Charleston urbanized area.
To improve water quality within the Ashley and Cooper River basins by providing educational opportunities on stormwater impacts and our community roles in supporting healthy, fishable, and swimmable waterways.
- Develop and implement an education plan that defines a cohesive education strategy which outlines target audiences and associated pollutants relevant to the region using a prioritized approach.
- Facilitate compliance with existing and future educational regulatory requirements by capitalizing on local resources and service providers.
- Foster citizen involvement in stormwater management through ACSEC education and participation programs.
- Encourage behavioral change towards environmental quality improvement through stormwater education.
- Utilize mainstream and developing technologies and tools to maximize citizen exposure to ACSEC stormwater goals and objectives.
- Create an interactive reporting process to facilitate information exchange and dissemination among member entities.
Education PrioritiesACSEC was created to coordinate and implement a regional watershed scale educational strategy focused on stormwater pollution prevention through education and community involvement.
Residential and Commercial Audiences
Proper application of fertilizer, use of low to no-phosphorous fertilizers, increase the use of native plants, inform every one of the testing tools Clemson Extension has to offer, and offering training/information for lawncare service companies with best management practices.
Stormwater Pond Management
Proper maintenance, homeowner association responsibilities, post construction pond maintenance,and neighborhood awareness.
Proper disposal of dog waste; proper maintenance of sink drains and septic tank systems.
Increase the use of reusable shopping bags, push the need for smokers to carry a personal ashtray, proper disposal of cigarette butts, and removal of leaf litter from storm drains.
Restaurants and Hospitality Management
Proper disposal of fats, oils, and grease.
Automotive Business Management
Proper management and disposal of petroleum and hazardous materials.