The Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium is a partnership between communities (MS4s), universities, agencies and non-profits working together to implement a regional, watershed-scale stormwater runoff education strategy in the Charleston urbanized area.
To improve water quality within the Ashley and Cooper River basins by providing educational opportunities on stormwater impacts and our community roles in supporting healthy, fishable, and swimmable waterways.
- Develop and implement an education plan that defines a cohesive education strategy which outlines target audiences and associated pollutants relevant to the region using a prioritized approach.
- Facilitate compliance with existing and future educational regulatory requirements by capitalizing on local resources and service providers.
- Foster citizen involvement in stormwater management through ACSEC education and participation programs.
- Encourage behavioral change towards environmental quality improvement through stormwater education.
- Utilize mainstream and developing technologies and tools to maximize citizen exposure to ACSEC stormwater goals and objectives.
- Create an interactive reporting process to facilitate information exchange and dissemination among member entities.
Education PrioritiesACSEC was created to coordinate and implement a regional watershed scale educational strategy focused on stormwater pollution prevention through education and community involvement.
Residential and Commercial Audiences
Proper application of fertilizers, use of low to no-phosphorous fertilizers, increase the use of native plants, inform citizens of the soil testing tools Clemson Extension offers, and provide training and information on yard care best management practices for both professional and residential audiences.
Stormwater Pond Management
Post-construction pond maintenance, homeowner association responsibilities and neighborhood awareness, pond retrofit, and upland best management practices.
Proper disposal of pet waste, maintenance of septic tank systems, and fat, oils, and grease management.
Increase the use of reusable shopping bags, proper disposal of cigarette butts, and removal of litter and debris from storm drains.
Restaurants and Hospitality Management
Proper disposal of fats, oils, and grease.
Automotive Business Management
Proper management and disposal of petroleum and hazardous materials.