Technical & Professional Audiences

There are many industries and audiences involved in the discussion of stormwater management. These professions include but are not limited to engineers and stormwater managers, landscape architects, contractors, developers, erosion control inspectors, and transportation officials. There is an immense amount of information from across the globe that is available to these audiences, and this website by no means will attempt to cover all of these industries and professions. Instead, the purpose of this website is to provide guidance, using general stormwater management concepts, for those professionals working in South Carolina.

For more information on if your construction site needs a stormwater permit, guidance is available in this brochure.

Most construction projects that will disturb more than one (1) acre of land in South Carolina require stormwater permit coverage.  Before beginning your construction project, ask yourself a few questions:

  • Does your construction project disturb more than 1 acre of land?  This disturbance includes removing the vegetative cover, clearing, grading, excavation and stockpiling of fill material.
  • Is your construction project less than 1 acre, but part of a plan or development that will eventually disturb more than 1 acre?  Common examples of this situation include single family homes that may have a small footprint but are part of a new neighborhood development.
  • If you live in a coastal county, is your construction project within a 1/2-mile of a creek, river or lake?  This is an important consideration and may require the use of a US Geological Survey Quadrangle map.
  • Are there other construction-related stormwater permits required from the county or municipality?  Some local governments have additional requirements so it's very important to check.

if the answer is YES to any of these questions, you need to get a stormwater permit!