Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP)
The Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) is a hands-on environmental education program that provides participants an opportunity to test their wildlife knowledge in a friendly competition, as each state supporting WHEP conducts an annual contest where teams of 3-4 similarly aged individuals gather.
What do Participants Study?
- Learn wildlife terms and concept
- Learn about wildlife habitat
- Learn how to judge the quality of wildlife habitat
- Learn about wildlife habitat management practices
- Learn about wildlife damage management
Online Wildlife Challenge
Registration for the Online Wildlife Challenge is now OPEN! The virtual opportunity is FREE and open to youth ages 9-18, along with adults and educators. Participants will receive a link to the online test via email, and can complete the test anytime between June 17th and June 19th.
The 2020 State Contest has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Be on the lookout for virtual opportunities coming this summer.
2021 State Contest will be held at Nemours Wildlife Foundation in the spring of 2021.
- Flashcards - Southeast (PDF 4.9MB)
- Flashcards - Urban (PDF 4.3MB)
- Flashcards - Wetlands (PDF 3.8MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Juniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Seniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Wildlife Challenge (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Onsite Recommendations (PDF 0.2MB)