Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP)
The Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) is a hands-on environmental education program that provides participants an opportunity to test their wildlife knowledge in a friendly competition, as each state supporting WHEP conducts an annual contest where teams of 3-4 similarly aged individuals gather.
What do Participants Study?
- Learn wildlife terms and concept
- Learn about wildlife habitat
- Learn how to judge the quality of wildlife habitat
- Learn about wildlife habitat management practices
- Learn about wildlife damage management
We are excited to announce that the SC Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) Contest will take place virtually on Saturday, May 8th!
Throughout the week of May 3rd, some of the activities within the contest will open so participants have more flexibility to complete them, and we will also have opportunities available to hear from wildlife professionals throughout the week. Our final day of competition and awards presentation will take place on May 8th.Registration
Register by April 23rd!!!
Youth can participate as individuals or teams. All youth will participate in the activities labeled as "individual" and only youth participating as a team will participate in the activities labeled as "team". Contest Structure for the two age-divisions:
• Junior Contest (ages 9-13 years)
• Senior Contest (ages 14-18 years)
- Flashcards - Southeast (PDF 4.9MB)
- Flashcards - Urban (PDF 4.3MB)
- Flashcards - Wetlands (PDF 3.8MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Juniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Seniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Wildlife Challenge (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Onsite Recommendations (PDF 0.2MB)