Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP)
The Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) is a hands-on environmental education program that provides participants an opportunity to test their wildlife knowledge in a friendly competition, as each state supporting WHEP conducts an annual contest where teams of 3-4 similarly aged individuals gather.
What do Participants Study?
- Learn wildlife terms and concept
- Learn about wildlife habitat
- Learn how to judge the quality of wildlife habitat
- Learn about wildlife habitat management practices
- Learn about wildlife damage management
***The South Carolina 4-H Team is the 2021 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS for WHEP Contest. The contest was held virtually July 10 and 11 and focused on urban wildlife.
South Carolina had 2 teams (FFA & 4-H) representing us at the National Contest this year, and they faced teams from 8 other states!***
WHEP State ContestThe 2022 State Contest will be held on Saturday, April 30th at the Nemours Wildlife Foundation in Yemassee, SC. More information will be released soon! We hope to see you there.
- Flashcards - Southeast (PDF 4.9MB)
- Flashcards - Urban (PDF 4.3MB)
- Flashcards - Wetlands (PDF 3.8MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Juniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Template - Written Management Plan, Seniors (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Wildlife Challenge (PDF 0.2MB)
- Answer Sheet - Onsite Recommendations (PDF 0.2MB)