Jesse Howard "JH" Hopkins
Jesse Howard “JH” Hopkins joined the Anderson County Extension Service in 1941, helping lead a transformation in local agriculture from row-crop farming to livestock, grain, pasture and lespedeza farming. With Hopkins’ leadership, Anderson became one of the top grain and beef producing counties in the state. What was once one of the state’s smallest dairy producers, Anderson County, became the second largest during his tenure. His work with youth led to the establishment of the Anderson 4-H Calf Club and the First National Bank Foundation, which loaned money to 4-H and FFA students to buy calves for heifer projects. His work in education included serving on the Anderson County School District 4 board of trustees from 1945 to 1972, including its chairmanship from 1960 to 1972.