Core programming will be complemented by regional workshops to be held throughout five (5) regions of the state: Upstate, Catawba, Midlands, PeeDee, and Lowcountry. These workshops will offer critical opportunities for local peer and resource networking, as well as provide additional instruction on production topics tailored for each region and managed by regional partners. Regional programs run from November, 2017 through May, 2018, and there are no additional workshop fees for participants to attend these regional workshops.
*Workshops marked with an * fufill the regional programming requirment for SC New and Beginning Farmer Program Participatns.
2017 - 2018 SCNBFP Regional Workshop Schedule
Catawba Region | Lowcountry Region | Midlands Region | Pee Dee Region | Upstate Region
- *Growing for the Seasons, 11/15/2017, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Chester, SC, More Information and Registration >>
- *Planning for Profitbility, 1/30/2018, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Chester, SC, More Information and Registration >>
- *Table for Two - Selling to Restaurants, 2/20/2018, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- *High Tunnel 101, March 2018
- *Pasture Management, April 2018
- *Social Media and Branding, May 2018
- *Organic Farming, May 2018
- *Wholesale Success, 11/6/2017, 9:00 AM - 4:45 PM, Coastal Research & Education Center, 2700 Savannah Highway, Walterboro, SC, 29488.
The goal of the workshop is to build capacity of farmers to meet the burgeoning demand for locally/regionally grown fruits and vegetables.
Go here to register: https://secure.touchnet.net/C20569_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=2944&SINGLESTORE=true
- *Pre-Plant Growers Meeting, 1/31/2018, Coastal Research & Education Center, 2700 Savannah Highway, Walterboro, SC, 29488.Updates and information for the coming growing season. Cost: $20.00 To register contact Alta Mae Marvin at email@example.com or 843-549-2595, Ext 126 by 1/31/2018. For more information contact: Zack Snipes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Diversifying the Farm, 4/10/2018, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Brant Family Farm
Diversifying the farm; fruits, vegetables, livestock. Cost: $20.00 To register contact Alta Mae Marvin at email@example.com or 843-549-2595, Ext 126. For more information contact: Zack Snipes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Pasture Management Workshop, 1/9/2018, More information and registration >>
- *Natural Enemies, Pollinators, and Pesticides: Beneficial Insects and IPM, 2/15/2018, Beneficial insects are an important part of on-farm integrated pest management. During this workshop, Dr. Schmidt-Jeffris will discuss the importance, identification, biology, and conservation of beneficial insects, including the natural enemies of pest insects. Ms. Bonilla will share information about USDA-NRCS programs to assist with pollinator habitat enhancement. Join us to learn how to protect and encourage beneficial insects on your farm! Free!
- *Conservation Partnership at Cooper Family Farms, 3/15/2018
- *SC Farmer Resource Rodeo, 4/5/2018
- *SC Farmland Access Summit, TBD
- *Basics of Forest Management, TBD
- *Backyard Poultry Workshop, TBD
- *Using Aquaculture to Address Local Food Deserts, TBD
Pee Dee Region
- *GAPs 101: The Basics of Good Agricultural Practices
- *PeeDee Resource Roundup
- *Best Production Practices
- *Building a New Farm from the Ground Up
- *Wholesale Success
- *Taking Soil Samples & Interpreting Results
12/7/2018, 6:00 PM - 8:15 PM
Ag Service Lab - Clemson University, 171 West Cherry Road, Clemson, SC 29634
We have recruited Clemson Soils lab manager, Shannon Alford, and Area Extension Specialist, Kerrie Roach, to provide detailed information on how to take a soil sample, interpret the results and make decisions on soil amendments based on those results during the class on Thursday. This class is exclusively for New and Beginning Farmer program participants. There will be snacks and hot cider available!
This is a special class for SCNBFR program participants and we hope you get all the information you need. If you have had a soil test done already please feel free to bring it along with your questions! We will have other examples of soil tests for you to review as well during the training.
Contact Kelly Flynn at email@example.com or call 864.609.5674 to register. Registration deadline is 12/7/2017, walk-ups are welcome.
- *Social Media Clinic